New admin search functions in 2.1

ryan

Just updated the 2.1 development source code on GitHub with a new admin search module. This one is a major improvement over the existing admin search module (the existing one was very basic). This should also be compatible with 2.0, so I'm going to be adding it to the stable 2.0 branch after a little more testing. Here is a screenshot attached below that demonstrates what's new in this module.

post-1-132614277487_thumb.png

It works very well and is super powerful. This is probably also first steps to "another way to browse content in admin"? It actually has all the powers already, but UI is not that user friendly (yet).

I just send you a pull request at the github that adds few "quick links" and also hides most advanced options to create simpler interface. Hope you like those additions (screen as an attachment).

post-79-13261427751_thumb.gif

Antti, thanks for the update! I have merged into the source, great ideas and updates. The module is still a work in progress and I agree it's showing too many options in the state before you updated it, so this is a welcome change. We may want to go even further, and not show any sidebar at all unless they clicked a "show more options" or "advanced search" link somewhere (perhaps under or above the search results). This is for reasons that are related to the paragraph below...

Regarding the 'another way to browse', that's a good point. Wanted to get all these search options as GET vars so that other modules could link to specific things. For instance, when viewing what roles are assigned to a template, each role would be linked to a search of: "template=user, role=$role" so that you could then get a list of all users that have access to pages using a template. That's just one example of many that we could already start using in the admin. But in this use, I'm thinking it's maybe better to hide any other search options behind an 'advanced' link. In part because many users may not even think of this as a traditional search since it doesn't involve searching for any text. And less options may help it to feel more integrated with the context of where they clicked from. What do you think?

One of the next steps for this module is also giving it the ability to output results in JSON, for ajax use.

Thanks,

Ryan

We may want to go even further, and not show any sidebar at all unless they clicked a "show more options" or "advanced search" link somewhere (perhaps under or above the search results).

And less options may help it to feel more integrated with the context of where they clicked from. What do you think?

I couldn't agree with you more. This is actually a query builder, and pretty good one. It reminds me little bit of views in drupal, although this is something you understand right away (and there is no need for anything as massive as views in PW because of powerful and easy templating).

So it makes a lot of sense that by default all the options are hidden, and then there is some "refine search" / "advanced search" / "show search options" link. Then there might be (not sure about this) quick links below options (like in my commit) - or maybe we could call them example queries (as a tutorial for user).

I started to think about module, where superuser can save quick links for different roles and single users could add quick links for themselves... There is ton of possibilities, but I think this as a core module should stay pretty slim like it is now, and all this fancy stuff should be additional modules?

One of the next steps for this module is also giving it the ability to output results in JSON, for ajax use.

That would be great!

Also I think where this core module could improve is that it should use asmSelect in field selectors (you probably have had this one on mind already...)? That would make it easier for everyone to build more advanced search queries.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is actually a query builder, and pretty good one. It reminds me little bit of views in drupal, although this is something you understand right away (and there is no need for anything as massive as views in PW because of powerful and easy templating).

It's probably a good way to show people how selectors are used. And someone could just copy/paste the resulting selector and use it in their own code if they wanted to. It used to be that it only showed the selector when in debug or advanced mode (like in 2.0), but  since selectors are such a common thing in PW, it probably makes sense to show them all the time.

I started to think about module, where superuser can save quick links for different roles and single users could add quick links for themselves... There is ton of possibilities, but I think this as a core module should stay pretty slim like it is now, and all this fancy stuff should be additional modules?

I agree with you. The quick links are great though. We have to think of where they should go. Perhaps they should stay where they are (but configurable with the module), or perhaps they should be built into an admin theme? Seeing the most recently edited/added pages like you had is particularly useful.

Also I think where this core module could improve is that it should use asmSelect in field selectors (you probably have had this one on mind already...)? That would make it easier for everyone to build more advanced search queries.

I agree, this will be a good addition. I will plan to convert them to asmSelects (or some other multi selection widget) where applicable.

Thanks,

Ryan

• 1 month later...

I started to think about module, where superuser can save quick links for different roles and single users could add quick links for themselves...

Yeah, it would be great to have some sort of canned search queries in a form of shortcuts (or other control elements). For the end user it would look just like an extra link in the back-end but it can save good deal of time spent on navigation for common tasks. Very handy tool to simplify back-end navigation.

• 3 years later...