My macbook wifi is unreliable

SamC

Title says it all really. Is anyone else having trouble with the wifi on OSX Mojave? It's becoming a huge pita, It's fine, then it's super slow, then sometimes it's 'cant connect' on webpages, then it's fine again 5mins later. It just hung on a gIt push and I was like panic mode.

It looks like some sort of DNS issue but not so good at troubleshooting on OSX. When it goes pear shaped, I check my android phone and the wifi is totally fine, the downstairs desktop (ethernet) is fine also.

Anyone got any ideas or had similar problems? Thanks.

37 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

Turn off Bluetooth entirely.

Restart (keep Bluetooth disabled) and watch if behaviour changed.

I'll try that thanks. Didn't even know it was on tbh, I must have left it on after connecting to Sphero.

• Like 1

If you've got the Android File Transfer app installed, try removing it. After upgrading to Mojave here, I was getting constant disconnects on bluetooth, which might have been the same with WiFi. After several days trying everything, finally uninstalled Android File Transfer and then no more problems. Still missing having the convenience of that app, but it really was screwing things up. Surprisingly runs just fine on my MBP, though I've not yet upgraded that to Mojave, so that's probably why. 

Mine's a 2015 13" MBP. @ryan, thanks but I don't have the android file transfer installed. The only things I leave running are postgres server, docker and onedrive. I actually never turn the thing off because every time I did, I got this: https://jeroenmols.com/blog/2017/12/26/macosupdate/ on startup. I wasn't trying to upgrade or anything, just restarting. Actually, not sure if upgrade is the right word. Doesn't that imply something that's better?

I started using a macbook in 2012 and never had any problems, now the number of issues seems to be creeping up and up. I guess I could quit moaning and buy a windows laptop but I expect more from such an expensive bit of gear. Anyway, I'll try the bluetooth suggestion tomorrow. Not sure what'll happen when I need to use my external (bluetooth) keyboard though.

Maybe the 13" version had similar issues but I can only talk about the 15" version and its issues.

I started with Macs back when the iBook G4 was the latest (not so expensive) model and kept Macs on my desk until 2015. That year and that MBPr 15 made me switch back to Windows setups. First Windows 8.1 on Lenovo X1 and now on a MS Surface. Never looked back.

The day you need your Bluetooth keyboard or any other device you might see a change in your Wifi connection. ?

Get yourself a USB hub (if needed) and a nice mechanical keyboard.

• Like 1

I've been on windows since about win95 and I've never had any issues. Other than the ancient looking (IMHO) explorer and those yellow folders, I really enjoy it, now on win10 on the desktop.

54 minutes ago, wbmnfktr said:

I started with Macs back when the iBook G4 was the latest (not so expensive) model and kept Macs on my desk until 2015. That year and that MBPr 15 made me switch back to Windows setups. First Windows 8.1 on Lenovo X1 and now on a MS Surface. Never looked back.

I actually had a surface laptop on order, then got all paranoid about the material staining up (I have eczema so my hands can be greasy with moisturizer). The order fell through when they failed to deliver it on time so I cancelled and got my money back, and bought the 2015 macbook.

What do you use as a terminal on win10? I'm using cmder at the moment which seems to do the job. Mind you, I've got no idea what actually happened behind the scenes on initial setup.

My acer laptop wifi started to behave similar and doesn´t work properly anymore with a lot of hotspots I weekly visit.
It connects to the routers all right but no internet. And yes others around me at the same time always have internet.
I want to share a simple working solution I found with a D-Link usb wifi adapter:

d-link.jpg.cf1b219a9069e4e4c28e722ac801f054.jpg

This little thingy made everything work again.

Note:
I tried a TP-Link before but it had installer drivers instead of direct inf drivers.
The TP-Link installer drivers never worked. So I changed it with this D-Link which
comes delivered with direct inf drivers which are simple to add and simply do work.
(Not affiliated, just want to share something that works)

• Like 1

Backup all your work on an external hard drive, sync your data in iCloud, do a Time Machine Backup, then restore your macbook.

Once restored, change the default DNS settings to the Cloudfare/APNIC own (1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1),  try your wifi adapter by downloading a large file (like an OS Linux ISO file), or even torrent files. If everything work fine, its time/the occasion to prepare your macbook with all the dev env, apps and copy/organize back your works files. Once finished, do a Time Machine Backup before doing everything with your mac. 

If it didn't work, I would follow @pwired advice to buy a new wifi adapter.

13 hours ago, SamC said:

What do you use as a terminal on win10?

ConEmu, even on Windows Server.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SamC said:

then got all paranoid about the material staining up

There is no reason for that. The TypeCover is way more durable than most other keyboards.

14 hours ago, SamC said:

What do you use as a terminal on win10?

I have had a linux sub-system installed. That did a great job. As I don't need CLI that often I removed it a while back and use the PowerShell if necessary.

• Thanks 1

This is creepy... Luckily I've never had wifi issues with any of our Mac laptops and so far we've used eight of them in our family, five of them sill being used daily. However, _yesterday_ morning the wifi of my MBP 2015 started malfunctioning so I did not visit the forum because I was also troubleshooting....

I could not solve the issue even though I've read a ton of trouble shooting guides (I was still running Sierra for the last two years.). Late afternoon I decided to perform a clean install of Mojave 10.14.3 on an "empty" APSF volume just to see if its a hardware or software issue and it appears to be the latter because by running a clean install the wifi works fine.

My issue is that the while the wifi connection seems to be still on, all network operations start to fail when a random period of time passed by after booting, and only restarting the system helps. I did not dig too much into the issue because my aging Sierra setup needs to be replaced with a new system anyway, it's just that normally it takes 2 or 3 weeks to install and configure _all_ the software I need so that is why I usually do it every two years.

Sorry for not being able to help, but it is kinda strange that we ran into a similar issue nearly the same time.

Regarding Mojave, I like it's performance. We have it installed on an 2013 MBP too and it performs well on both machines. Comparing to Sierra, it is sort of the same in the performance arena.

Hate to say it but unless you need to use XCode, try and stay on the oldest OS possible. 

I'm still using Yosemite and have no intention of upgrading until someone puts a gun on my head.

Wifi issues, unfortunately, seem to be 1 of the recurring OS/X issue that never seems to go away.

• Haha 1

After trying @wbmnfktr suggestion of turning off bluetooth (I also deleted wifi and re-set it up), the wifi seems to be working fine for the last couple of days.... fingers crossed. Although crossing fingers and hoping for the best is no substitute for it actually working like it should!

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
4 hours ago, eurekaa said:

Does the solution work??

Did for me. Bluetooth is really dodgy on 10.14.5. Sometimes works with my headphones, sometimes hangs the whole laptop with that stupid spinning beach ball. It's really not acceptable on such a supposedly 'high end' product. But hey, I love this laptop so meh.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My wifi has been fine since stopping the bluetooth use. I can't bring myself to call this a solution though. Kinda like saying my car works, as long as I don't use 4th gear. I complain, but I love my macbook ?

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...