Windows 8 (or 7+)

mike77

Just wanted to share it with you...

I bought a copy of Win8 three days ago not knowing what to expect. It turned out that it's not really as bad as it would seem. The system is faster then the original Win7 and the workspace (the desktop mode) doesn't differ much from the previous version. Till now it's stable.

The only basic issue I've encoutered was the system upgrade from Win7 - many bugs appeard afterwards so I'd recommend installing Win8 from the scratch. Also it's better not to install free antivirus apps (avast for example) as the system crashes everytime it enters the Web.

if you're using Win8 any tips would be welcome.

I upgraded from 7 Pro to 8 Pro and have yet to encounter any issues.

Only one app was incompatible, but upgrading it fixed that.

I'm used to it already, but think the built in apps need some time to mature (mail app could use HTML signatures, but I guess they might want you to use Office 2013 when it's out for advanced stuff).

Only major issue has been that it uses port 80, so XAMPP broke until I changed Apache to use port 81. Sure, it means you get uglier localhost URLs, but it's not a problem now I've resolved it.

Having contacts from multiple email accounts, FB and Twitter in one place, plus seeing what everyone's up to all in one place with no ads is nice too (though I doubt it's unique to Windiws as I'm sure someone with a Mac will tell me ;)).

Only major issue has been that it uses port 80, so XAMPP broke until I changed Apache to use port 81.

I had the same problem after the upgrade. When I installed Win8 once again XAMPP began to work through port 80 with no conflicts.

Sounds like something of a gamebreaker... ???

There is a default antivirus (Defender) of course but it was hard to find what caused the problem - the error code informed that it was a ethernet driver. I expect more issues with apps compatibility in futer.