Youtube's "rel=0" no longer works (as expected)

louisstephens

So I don't know how many have noticed yet, but Youtube has depreciated "rel=0" at the end of the embedded url in September 2018. For some reason, I just noticed today on a site I was working on. If you do not use the rel, you will get related videos across youtube, but if you use it, you will only get related videos from the same channel. Just wanted to share in case people did not know and they needed to make a change on whatever they were working on.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, louisstephens said:

So I don't know how many have noticed yet, but Youtube has depreciated "rel=0" at the end of the embedded url in September 2018. For some reason, I just noticed today on a site I was working on. If you do not use the rel, you will get related videos across youtube, but if you use it, you will only get related videos from the same channel. Just wanted to share in case people did not know and they needed to make a change on whatever they were working on.

https://developers.google.com/youtube/player_parameters#release_notes_08_23_2018

• Like 1

Just spend a good amount of time on this and played around. This rel=0 will not work as before as @louisstephens already mentioned.
Neither with customized embeds, nor with (my known) jQuery solutions.
Using rel=0 at least limits videos to those of that channel - which can be good.

What still works, if really needed, downloading the *.mp4 and embedding it as a video.

Irritating that several parts of the YT documentation still show this example, even in snippets.