Processwire Admin in Android OS GUI - Image Descriptions & Crop

Hackasacka

Hi Ryan,

It has recently come to my attention that some "Processwire" users accessing the "admin" of their websites using various versions of the Android OS cannot add or modify "image descriptions" any more (it was possible in earlier versions up to 2.7.2 and possibly later)?

Also, some of the other "Imageick" tools, which have proved very useful do not appear to function on the Android OS's trialed to date.

I am pretty sure the iPhone OS was also working on later versions than 2.7.2 as I remember struggling to crop an image using it (probably PW 3.0.98), but unfortunately I do not have specific versions of PW to reference as we upgraded them as soon as PW was upgraded to 3.0.123.

Also, I have tested with and without the "Admin UI Kit" to no avail yet.

It could be related to our hosting environment and the versions of MYSQL or PHP, but think it is more likely to be something else?

Personally, I find it much easier to use a larger screen with a mouse (I defy anyone to crop an image accurately on a mobile or tablet) and so haven't noticed this before now.

Please let me know of any possible solutions to this problem as it is useful to at least have the option to use a mobile interface with "PW Admin" when roaming away from a suitable PC.

Regards,

Hackasacka

I've never tried using the PW admin on Android before, but I just now tested it in Chrome on an Android tablet.

It was not possible to "click" (i.e. touch or access via trackpad pointer) thumbnails in the square grid or proportional grid views of an images field. Therefore it was not possible to access the description field, crop links, etc, from these views. It was possible to switch to list view and access the description field, etc, from this view.

However, the Actions dropdown (not sure if this is the same thing you meant by "Imageick" tools) was not clickable.

So it seems there are some usability issues in the PW admin for Android. I tested the same things in Chrome on iOS and no issues there. 

I suggest opening a GitHub issue to get Ryan's attention.

Edit: scratch all that. After updating the Chrome app all those things are working fine for me now. So that might be the same for you if you're running an older version of the Chrome app.

Hi Robin,

Thank you for experimenting with the mobile OS's.

The Android version is 7.0 and the Chrome version is 71.03578.99.

Chrome for Android Update

Tuesday, December 18, 2018
Good news, everyone!  Chrome 71 (71.0.3578.99) for Android has been released and will be available on Google Play over the course of the next few weeks. This release includes stability and performance improvements.

This appears to be the latest version available for Android, but unfortunately this still did not work.

What version of PW did you test this with and what version of Android?

Regards,

Hackasacka

Hi Robin,

Just tried the oldest Processwire version I could find on GitHub of 3.0.34 released on 23 Sep 2016.

This also appears to have the same problem when you try to modify "image descriptions" in that the screen keyboard does not appear.

I'll see if I can try a tablet later as maybe the screen size is an issue?

Regards,

Hackasacka

Hi Robin,

We have now tested Processwire v3.0.123 and another Android v7.0 phone and an unknown version of Chrome with success. Also, an older Android tablet with unchecked versions of app also worked if you double-tap the "image description" input box.

An alternative solution was to simply download the latest version of the Firefox v64.0.2 web browser released on the 9th of January 2019. Opera's web browser might be a useful alternative to try too?

Regards,

Hackasacka

Glad to hear it's (mostly) working.

You can always open a GitHub issue if you think you have found a reproducible bug. But if it's something that occurs only on some devices and not others it might be a difficult one for Ryan to reproduce.