Which MacOS Finder alternative are you using ?

flydev

Hi mac users ?

As the title say, which window manager are you using as an alternative to Finder ? I was used to do everything with Path Finder since version 6, but the version 8 is too bugged to feel good giving a buck on their app again ?

I tried today Commander One, but it lack too much productive functionalities, stuck to two panels, no sync..

Thanks.

Lol, you mac lovers still go merry go round with path finder - commander one - forklift > > >  ??
MFilemanager is what I add up after I have done a new mac os installation for a client.
Satisfied clients is the best feed back I can give you:

http://www.moroshkaproject.ru/#

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, pwired said:

Lol, you mac lovers still go merry go round with path finder - commander one - forklift > > >  ??
MFilemanager is what I add up after I have done a new mac os installation for a client.
Satisfied clients is the best feed back I can give you:

http://www.moroshkaproject.ru/#

Ummm - none of the menu items at the top of their site work ?

The last update was in 2011 ?

Are you actually serious ? Sorry if you are - maybe it is actually awesome ?

• Like 1

The last update was in 2011Are you actually serious ?
Sorry if you are - maybe it is actually awesome ?

Dude, no need to get jumpy, this is not through time stuffed and over-engineered software.
This simply works and does the job without all the wrapped commercial bs.
Why not evaluate it before you reply ?
I wouldn't have posted if I didn't have satisfied clients with it.

• Like 1

Ok, I tried before speaking, but dude, installed and removed twenty seconds later. 

So old, no tags, no sync, bad fonts, no preview, no panel, no mojave support... twenty seconds I can't saw more and didn't want.   `ls -a` in a terminal is more useful :neckbeard:

And yes as Adrian pointed out

History of Changes

1.0.56   May 22, 2011

Thanks for the suggestion anyway, it look like it do the job, but I am looking for a productive tool. Not a terminal shortcut.

@Jonathan Lahijani thanks you, it was not the goal, but you made me brought a license for my Windows laptop ?

Edited by flydev
Xyplorer
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, pwired said:

Dude, no need to get jumpy

Sorry - I really do apologize if that's how my comment came across - I honestly thought you might have been joking with your suggestion. Perhaps it really is great software, but given all the changes to MacOS in the last 7/8 years I would expect that something from 2011 might have problems these days.

Again, I didn't mean to judge or dismiss your suggestion - I really just wasn't sure if you were serious.

PS - I am not someone who needs the latest and greatest - I am still limping along with a 2011 Macbook ?

• Like 2

@flydev I guess I should have mentioned that this one is a more easy finder alternative for home users, but not for pro users ?

@adrian I am not even a mac user my self, I just picked up doing mac service to get a piece of the cake.
Many photographers and home users around here seem to have problems to find their way with the default finder
so they asked me for a more easy non commercial alternative. No need to apologize, I guess it was me swinging
the door to wide ? You are on top of it man, I just love all your modules.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter Knight said:

Transmit by Panic is also good.

I have a license for both Transmit and Forklift for my Mac machines.  I keep both of them updated with the latest versions.

I first started with Forklift. Used it for years and like it as an alternative to Finder.  Years later, I had problems with connecting to one of my remote servers with Forklift (a flaky certificate problem, which eventually got resolved).  However, at that time it was a problem so I gave Transmit a chance, liked it and that's what I have been using primarily for all remote secure connections.

I believe both programs are worthy Mac utilities.  Either one is suitable when you need rock solid SSH tunneling using SFTP.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cstevensjr said:

I have a license for both Transmit and Forklift for my Mac machines.  I keep both of them updated with the latest versions.

I first started with Forklift. Used it for years and like it as an alternative to Finder.  Years later, I had problems with connecting to one of my remote servers with Forklift (a flaky certificate problem, which eventually got resolved).  However, at that time it was a problem so I gave Transmit a chance, liked it and that's what I have been using primarily for all remote secure connections.

I believe both programs are worthy Mac utilities.  Either one is suitable when you need rock solid SSH tunneling using SFTP.

The only issue I've ever had with Transmit is with regards to folder syncing. They may have solved it now but at the time they didn't think it was a bug.

Basically on Dreamweaver, I can upload a single file that's several directories deep and DW will auto-create the necessary parent folder.

On Transmit, this wasn't (or didn't used to be) the case and I had a scary moment where a few PHP files landed where they shouldn't.

Transmit also used to have a super IOS app which they are shelving.

My favourite FTP application ever was actually an app called Fetch back in early 90's. When a file transfer was in progress, there was a cute dog animation ?

I'm a TotalFinder user which is not a replacement but an "extension" injecting runtime mods into the Finder. It's "used-to-be free" alternative is XtraFinder which I also used for years but was a bit too buggy to my taste so I switched to TotalFinder a few years ago which is more reliable. I use Yummy FTP Pro and Beyond Compare as well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, flydev said:

I think I will try it someday.

I forgot to mention that I also use the free https://www.spectacleapp.com/ "window-size manager" application. In the case of the Finder I use it in a semi-automatic way to quickly setup a "two-pane layout" for the Finder. I create a new window with half of the vertical size of the desktop ('cos I prefer landscape/horizontal windows for column view) and right away following that I create a new window because the Finder clones the last not-yet-resized window's dimensions, and I only need to reposition the two, similarly sized windows. Since I rarely move Finder windows around I do not need to do it too often.

Edited by szabesz
typo
  • Like 5