PW Courses

HMCB

I started in PW a few years back. I love what I’ve been able to develop, although most have been simple marketing websites. I’m a brand developer by trade but I’ve been doing frontend and light database/ php since the late ‘90s.

My perception of PW is that it’s a real tool. You can build stuff and not have so much abstraction that revisiting a project requires a ton of time figuring out what code does. I like that because building stuff with staying power serves my clients well. I think PW attracts the kind of person who loves well crafted things; like a good Italian shoe that can be resoaled versus throwing the shoes away because they’re made cheap.

I think that PW could really find a wider base if there was a learning framework. There are key people in this community, including Ryan, that could build a curriculum starting from scratch. Courses we pay for that teach us good fundamentals because there are multiple ways to get stuff done but maybe a lot of us could improve our spaghetti code. Then we could delve into more complicated stuff like writing to pages from frontend pages. Some could even involve getting best use of Pro modules.

This is an investment because unlike other systems, PW is so fundamentally sound and non-changing that the information would be sound for years.

Thanks for listening.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

That's not a bad idea, I love writing tutorial and that thought has always been there, maybe it is something I can look at except that payment issues is one that discourages me from sure since my country has so many restrictions, but it is something that is due. A book someone can follow from scratch to finish. Good idea 

• Like 3

Just a thought but instead of diving in headfirst, maybe those interested in creating content whether articles or video should create a content outline.

- Purpose of said educational piece

- Overview of what students will be learning

- Framework requirements (version of PW; any modules required, etc.)

- Section overviews (think of this as chapter titles in a book and brief description of what’s covered)

- Paid or free

Those are a few thoughts.

Although I am not a programmer, from a brand standpoint, I’ve watched Laravel develop from its inception. It’s been a beautiful process to watch. And it’s been successful for being opinionated and rigorous in documentation, besides paying attention to the craft of good design.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I don't know if this is in works, because I have much free time ( Change of Job) , I am thinking of picking this up, using something that generates from Markdown via Github, I have looked at Leanpub, @HMC

is right, a table of content is necessary, I will create a thread for this, because I think it is long due for this. However I will prefer somewhere , where people can edit and push for changes, Git seems to fit for this purpose if anyone has any comments, please feel free to chime in.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sephiroth said:

I have looked at Leanpub

Other than having bought a book there once, I’ve not returned to Leanpub but it does look like a great idea. The multiple-book format is nice. I’ve been buying more through Kindle and bringing writings into Kindle does seem nice. And the other formats make it accessible to all.

Maybe you can take suggestions on content. In my opinion, starting small/very basic is a good starting point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HMCB said:

Other than having bought a book there once, I’ve not returned to Leanpub but it does look like a great idea. The multiple-book format is nice. I’ve been buying more through Kindle and bringing writings into Kindle does seem nice. And the other formats make it accessible to all.

Maybe you can take suggestions on content. In my opinion, starting small/very basic is a good starting point.

I have written tutorials here and various tutorials before, it's fun for me however I think starting small is a good idea. I will create a thread for this today or tomorrow where we can deliberate on table of contents and all.  

• Like 3