Force UTF-8 encoding for PW

jukooz

Hello,

I have pretty strange situation. Hosting that I'm working on is forcing ISO-8859-2 encoding. I don't have any real access to it, just ftp to folder where I'm installing a site. None of htaccess solutions worked - have no idea why. The only thing that worked for me was adding

header("Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8");

to every template. But ProcessWire backend is still encoded in ISO-8859-2 and messy.

How to write module that would add it to every ProcessWire pageload? Or to which PW file and where I need to paste it (probably it will never be updated)?

My php skills are really poor. Know only basics that allow me to ingrate processwire to site.

As a quick fix, you could add it to the top of /wire/templates-admin/default.php.

If you want to write a module for doing that, a simple autoload module which hooks right before Page::render and just sends the header there should be enough. The Helloworld.module that ships with ProcessWire default theme is a nice starting point for this (it's already autoload and demonstrates how hooks are used.) The only code you'll need in init() would look pretty much like this:

$this->addHookBefore('Page::render', $this, "sendHeader");

And your sendHeader() method would only need to contain that header you've posted above:

public function sendHeader() {
   header("Content-Type: text/html;charset=UTF-8");
}

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Great thanks. I figured out changing default.php few minutes ago. It's working for me now.

Tried to make this module but I'm getting errors. They are about some classes but it doesn't matter. I have solution to my problem.

And since I use Teflon theme, Even PW update wouldn't break it :)