Auto export and sync of fields

Mikie

It would be handy to automate import and export of fields across installations. The reference for this is the wp ACF json functionality, which in practice allows checking field changes into version control and syncing field config updates without having to worry about the database. This would be achieved by automatically creating json export files when saving a field, checking these json files for changes in the fields list, and providing ui to import the changes if wanted.

It seems like a module could easily manage this using available hooks, but just wondering if others would find this handy or if it is on any sort of roadmap. Sorry if I am doubling up on this, there is lots of talk around different modules like Migrations but nothing specifically about automating current field import / export functionality.

• Like 2

Hi Mikie, the need is definitely there but I think Migrations is the best option already. See the blog post here: https://processwire.com/blog/posts/introduction-migrations-module/

There's also some discussion about that here: 

See especially my comment regarding automating PW's internal import/export featurs and the problems you might get: 

And also see the comments by Benjamin at the very end of his blog post.

• Like 2