Chrome dev tools device mode causes PW logout?

Robin S

For some reason enabling the device mode in the Chrome developer tools logs me out of the ProcessWire admin. I'm using Windows 10, Chrome 70.0.3538.102.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Login to PW admin.

2. View the site frontend in a new tab (e.g. Home page).

3. Open the Chome dev tools, enable device mode, and reload the Home page:

2018-11-16_112754.png.c3473aed1101d966e19f987a017d0d5d.png

4. Switch to the admin tab (where dev tools is not open) and reload - you are now logged out.

Can anyone else confirm this? Is there a setting in the dev tools that would avoid this? Or is this logout behaviour something that could/should be fixed in the PW core?

• Like 3

Just from the bit of reading I was doing, each device has a different HTTP_USER_AGENT and therefore the sessions no longer match (between chrome and the device agent). A solution someone came up with on stackoverflow was to store the user agent in the session and check against it once the switch has been made. Perhaps someone better than I could give a better way to handle it in a PW sense.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/45532678/chrome-toggle-different-devices-view-destroys-the-session

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, louisstephens said:

each device has a different HTTP_USER_AGENT and therefore the sessions no longer match

Thanks, makes sense. So a couple of solutions would be:

Use an incognito window when working with dev tools device mode.

Or set $config->sessionFingerprint = false in /site/config.php

These are okay but still kind of annoying. The incognito solution is a bit less convenient than working within the current browser window and easy to accidentally forget when opening view links from Page Edit / Page List. And I wouldn't want to forget the sessionFingerprint setting and leave it disabled as it reduces security a bit.

I wonder if there is some way the PW session fingerprint feature could detect and allow for user agent changes that specifically come from the Chrome dev tools? 

• Like 1

This seems like it could be reasonable solution: disable session fingerprint when a site is on localhost. That way when developing locally the user agent is allowed to change without causing a logout.

In /site/config.php:

if(in_array($_SERVER['SERVER_ADDR'], ['127.0.0.1', '::1'])) {
	$config->sessionFingerprint = false;
}

• Like 3

If you run multiple PW under the same hostname, then setting $config->sessionName to something unique is recommended as well as it prevents one installations logged in state from clashing with another (and other weird admin caching things).  I usually set its value to $config->dbName since that's easily unique enough.

$config->sessionName = $config->dbName;
$config->sessionFingerprint = 2;

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Lahijani said:

If you run multiple PW under the same hostname, then setting $config->sessionName to something unique is recommended as well as it prevents one installations logged in state from clashing with another (and other weird admin caching things).  I usually set its value to $config->dbName since that's easily unique enough.

$config->sessionName = $config->dbName;
$config->sessionFingerprint = 2;

Thanks @Jonathan Lahijani for that tidbit. I had been "struggling" with that for awhile, and this makes life so much easier.

8 minutes ago, louisstephens said:

I had been "struggling" with that for awhile, and this makes life so much easier.

I recommend using a virtual host for each local project - it avoids little issues like this and will be more consistent with how the site will operate when migrated to a remote host. It's not difficult to set up virtual hosts manually, although if you use a tool like Laragon it's an absolute breeze because it automatically creates virtual hosts for every project in the document root: https://laragon.org/docs/pretty-urls.html

• Like 3