image descriptions can't be changed in my repeaters

rushy

My problem seems specific to the description text fields provided with images. When used within repeaters, the description field is not saved and original text reappears after save. How can i enable extra logging to track down this problem? I have debug = true in config.php and no messages are seen. Any ideas of where to look?

Thanks - Paul

Do you have a large number of inputs on this page? Inputs being images, repeater items, other fields. If so you might be exceeding PHP's max_input_vars setting.

https://www.virendrachandak.com/techtalk/big-forms-and-php-max_input_vars/

If you do have a lot of inputs and cannot change max_input_vars then it may help if your repeater items are ajax-loaded as needed and not opened by default.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Robin S said:

Do you have a large number of inputs on this page? Inputs being images, repeater items, other fields. If so you might be exceeding PHP's max_input_vars setting.

No, I only have 2 'instances' of the repeater on my page, with 2 fields in the repeater 1 image and 1 TextareaLanguage. The image description field comes with the image.

I'm thinking this must be a PHP config. problem on the server. I found a problem with ini_set being disabled for security reasons and thought that would be the problem but now it's enabled the problem persists.  See other post: override php.ini

It's a long shot, but I think I will reinstall PW from scratch now that I have no server errors - just in case the installation had been affected by the PHP error.

I wonder if there is a definitive statement of PHP functions that are required for correct operation of PW? That would help me track down the problem as I have no error messages anywhere now as far as I can see, but images in repeaters still don't work properly on this server.

Paul

11 hours ago, rushy said:

It's a long shot, but I think I will reinstall PW from scratch now that I have no server errors - just in case the installation had been affected by the PHP error.

I tried the above to no avail. I'm really stumped now. Just can't get repeaters to work properly on this server but they are fine on another server. I can't see what the difference is...no errors or warnings. What a pain. 

I haven't heard of such an issue before.

My only other idea is to make sure $config->debug = true in /site/config.php so that you will see any PHP errors that might be occurring. Or better yet, install Tracy Debugger and enable the debug bar for the backend as this will catch errors even more reliably.

2018-11-07_133830.png.e8f7f79a0daeaa7e192b18c9f78b0609.png

7 hours ago, Robin S said:

Or better yet, install Tracy Debugger and enable the debug bar for the backend as this will catch errors even more reliably.

Good idea Robin, I will certainly try Tracy Debugger to see if it reports any problem in the backend. My $config is already set true and no visible errors are reported and everything else seems to work fine. Fingers crossed I can find something as I'm fresh out of ideas now...

2 hours ago, gmclelland said:

What version of Processwire are you running?  You might consider upgrading to the dev version of Processwire on a local setup to see if the problem is already fixed.

I'm using 3.0.98.  I don't think it can be a PW problem though. I'm thinking perhaps server config? The fact is I've run the same build on a different server and the problem doesn't occur. Also it's fine on my local dev server. There are no errors seen to give me a clue (or I don't know where to look for config. errors) 

Thanks for the suggestion. I couldn't see any errors in the Chrome developer network tab, but I did try adding the mod_security.c section as given in your other post. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference - the problem persists. 

I've installed Tracy debugger just in case it can throw any light on this problem.  Now I have to learn how to use it properly!

Rushy