Linux OS Suggestions

kongondo

2 minutes ago, Ivan Gretsky said:

I prefer laradock for its popularity and support. And run and monitor everything from command line (you should too since you're on Linux anyway).

For VS Code language server I use locally installed php from standard repository like @fbg13 suggested.

Good points, thanks. I'm questioning whether I need to use Docker at all. I'm not sure I see its benefits (I've read lots of docs) in my case. I just need a server for PHP development (mainly modules). I'll have a look at laradock.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Feel like I've been to hell and back :-)! 

No LAMP environment I set up worked! There was always something going wrong; not being able to connect to host, some PHP file extension missing, some cryptic errors!!! I tried Docker so many times I lost count. I even tried XAMPP and quite a number of other variants! Laradock almost worked but then failed on 'cannot connect to host'. In addition, it took a long time to set up. I don't know how many times I went back and forth with docker! I tried using it directly, I tried using docker clients, nothing worked! I almost installed WINE just to ran laragon! I then stumbled upon this Python (command line) docker app called Stakkr.  It works! I'm using it in combination with Portainer and Traefik (both running in Stakkr as services). The Stakkr PHP images include all the extensions I need and then some. Yes, even Imagick! This was a pain to set up when I tried other docker PHP images.

I needed a database tool to replace Heidi SQL now that I'm not on windows but still need to connect to remote hosts. I found this wonderful tool, DBeaver. I'm using it both locally (so I ditched phpMyAdmin andAdminer) and for remote connections. 

On the one hand I feel like I've wasted 2 weeks of dev work! On the other, I learnt quite a lot about docker and some related technologies. I have no more hair left to pull out and I haven't been 'nice' to be around not to mention the writer's block I picked up along the way...

Back to work I go. Hopefully, no more technological interruptions...at least for some time ?.

@fbg13, Thanks for Solus Plasma! I'd gone with Budgie  but then tried plasma and wow! It's what I'm using now. It just works, even the printing. I was able to connect without using CUPS in the browser. 

• Like 7

• 4 months later...

I used to develop solely on Debian for over 6 years. I recently decided to get into 3D printing and much of the desirable software was Windows-based, especially Fusion360 (CAD design).

PLUS I still run a *AMP stack through Laragon.

Running a full LAMP stack on your PC is ssooo simple. Are you doing well with your setup?

7 hours ago, OrganizedFellow said:

I used to develop solely on Debian for over 6 years. I recently decided to get into 3D printing and much of the desirable software was Windows-based, especially Fusion360 (CAD design).

PLUS I still run a *AMP stack through Laragon.

Running a full LAMP stack on your PC is ssooo simple. Are you doing well with your setup?

@OrganizedFellow

This is the craziest coincidence ever! I was gonna post here later today. Just this Monday, I have had to go back to my trusty Windows. Reason? printing! For some reason, suddenly, my printouts were all washed out in a strange hue of pink! I decided to try print from a Windows in a VM machine but it wouldn't see the printer. I let that go, but then I needed to scan some things. It took me a little while to find an app for that. I tried it (I can't remember its name) and the previews looked fine. Scanning it though, the scans came out in the same hue of pink! That was the last straw. I suppose some update messed up my printer settings. I didn't have the energy to switch to another distro and hoped it worked. My Linux days are over, probably for good now. 

So now I am back to my beloved Windows...viruses, ready or not, here I come! ?. I better stop now; I am still running updates! sigh! I am back on Laragon as well, which is great!

Cheers.

• Like 1

Why didn't you call me? That's what everyone else I know does when they get printer trouble. Besides, a PW contributor like you gets free lifetime phone support from me.

Regarding trying new distros, it should be possible to install the printer-related packages to a live system running from a USB stick and thus test without the hurdle of an actual OS installation.

Anyway, that pink bug sounds fascinating!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kongondo said:

This is the craziest coincidence ever! I was gonna post here later today.

Although I am back to Windows for 90% of my hobby/work, I run Debian on an Acer Chromebook C720 and it's perfect! 

For fun I have a Raspberry Pi3 connected via Ethernet to my router for tinkering and stuff. Looking forward to a simple NAS project.

I'm using Linux Mint fulltime for a couple of weeks now, as a test, and got everything working fine for developing a project in PW.

Much snappier than Windows on my ThinkPad P51 (Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM). Got it installed on a different SSD drive.

The only problem is that I use Adobe tools to work as well and got a Win 10 VM with them when simple things are required but probably will need to reboot to Windows when complex things are needed, like editing a large document, as I could not configure the VM video memory for more than the VirtualBox default; so that's a problem I need to solve. Also created a MacOS VM for browser testing, but it's pretty slow on Virtual Box.

The only issue on Linux Mint I'm having is that when watching videos there's some small flickery occurring sometimes. Probably an NVIDIA driver issue, but I can live with it for now.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, pwired said:

Arch Linux, Fast, Responsive and Snappy. Run only what you need.

SO TRUE. However, I only used it for a very short while. It took me WAY too long to get my machine to a usable daily state because of its high high customizability - I was always tweaking something. Due to its Rolling State nature, I broke something, couldn't fix it, and went back to good ole Debian (which I also run on my Acer Chromebook C720).

With Windows Subsystem for Linux I feel much more comfortable using Windows for development. There is no Linux GUI, simply the terminal. I've installed Nodejs, git. Nothing else really but if the need arises, it's simple.