PW import site profile problem

rushy

I'm trying to migrate a PW site on my local dev server to a shared hosted server and have used the ProcessExportProfile module to export a profile as a zip file. So far so good. I then deploy new install of PW on the server by unzipping the PW installation files but I do not run the install until I have replaced the various site profiles with the files from the exported profile. So basically:

In the PW install files I delete all the site-* folders except site-default. This one I overwrite with  the export profile folders so it contains my assets, install, modules and templates folders together with the exported config.php

I then run the install in the browser in the normal way and it starts the installation and I can see my website profile in the list and I select it. It proceeds as normal and gets to setting up the database. I provide the db info. as usual and it proceeds as far the info. below and 'hangs' at this point , it never goes on to setup the PW login admin. and complete the install I am left at that screen.  

If I relaunch the browser at the site it all seems to work! BUT I have no admin login to PW so cannot get into the backend. 

I have basically followed the Installation, Moving and Troubleshooting guide by Joss Sanglier: http://processwire.com/docs/tutorials/installation-moving-and-troubleshooting/page4

Any idea where I could check for an error log or some help as I am at a loss as to the problem. 

Many thanks. Paul

ProcessWire 3.x Installer
 Test Database and Save Configuration
 Database connection successful to pinpoin1_master
 Saved configuration to ./site/config.php
 Profile Import
 Imported database file: ./wire/core/install.sql
 Imported database file: ./site/install/install.sql

This is a good outline of the process: https://processwire.com/docs/tutorials/installation-moving-and-troubleshooting/page5

A quote from the article:

Exporting and installing using the Profile Exporter is only properly meant for new installations based on a profile set up and not as a way of moving a complete site that has been fully developed. Although profiles are a complete record of the site, they do not hold user data as it would be expected that users would be created as part of a new install.

Thanks for the replies. I gave up on the profile export and did it all manually with a db dump as per bernhard suggested and it works fine. 

Robin S: I note the quote above and I had not fully taken that on board - I think my problems could have been due to not recreating the site user accounts and failure to setup the config.php correctly on the new server. 

Thanks to you both for helpful suggestions.

Paul

• 8 months later...