phpMyAdmin: how do you refresh the edit row view?

Robin S

This is something that has been bugging me for ages and I'm hoping somebody knows a simple trick I'm missing.

I am viewing a table in phpMyAdmin - in this case the "fields" table:

2018-10-29_120206.thumb.png.171943ba162af880147a792efb758343.png

I want to take a closer look at the data column in the link_url row, so I open the row for editing via the "Edit" link:

2018-10-29_120408.png.aed1de2dcb436de43f259e8afd77cc54.png

Now in the PW admin I make some changes to the link_url field settings, and want to check the results in the table row. So I want to reload the edit row view to see the changes... but the URL that phpMyAdmin uses for this view is http://localhost/phpmyadmin/tbl_row_action.php - there's nothing specific to the currently edited row in the URL, and when I refresh the page I am sent back to the phpMyAdmin landing page.

I figure there has got to be some way to refresh the edit row view without this happening - isn't refreshing a view like this a really common need? Maybe there is some button in the interface that reloads the edit view that I am missing? Any tips much appreciated.

P.S. I know I can show non-truncated column values in the table view and also edit column values in the table view, but the interface is much more crowded and busy here than it is in the edit row view, so it's not a great substitute.

Use either of the the Go buttons at the bottom  in conjunction with the dropdown and then selecting 'Go back to this page'. This will reload the edit screen BUT not save the data as long as you haven't made any changes directly in phpMyAdmin. Unfortunately, the 'Go back to this page' does not seem to stick if you leave and come back to the edit page.

PS: You can also resize columns :-).

PS2: For connecting to remote DB, I've not come across anything that beats HeidiSQL. Locally I use phpMyAdmin, but Heidi for all remote connections.

phpmyadmin-reload.png.ccdf0c4c574fe339912a6d917c720b96.png

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, kongondo said:

This will reload the edit screen BUT not save the data as long as you haven't made any changes directly in phpMyAdmin.

It's a bit scary submitting an edit form with data you know is out of date, but you're right that it doesn't save the data if it's unchanged. So that's a good solution, thanks!

On 10/29/2018 at 11:18 PM, kongondo said:

Did you manage to check their docs? Are they silent on the issue?

Am going to ditch phpMyAdmin in favour of Adminer. It's a great tool, especially when used in the Adminer Custom theme/plugin bundle: https://github.com/pematon/adminer-custom

The JSON preview plugin rules:

2018-10-30_134115.thumb.png.20e86503d5ff3ef5bb5715535739cdbb.png

No problems with refeshing row edit views in Adminer.

Was working on my own PW integration but I think @adrian might have something exciting for us all soon... ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Robin S said:

Am going to ditch phpMyAdmin in favour of Adminer.

I can't recall atm, but I tried Adminer in the past and something didn't work so I ditched it. 

3 minutes ago, Robin S said:

Was working on my own PW integration but I think @adrian might have something exciting for us all soon... ?

Aha. Keenly watching this...?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1