Awesome UIKit

bernhard

I love the uikit css framework

Glad you are lovin it.

and everybody here should know it since the admin is built upon it.

Processwire is decoupled so everybody is free to chose his love on the front end.

Critical thinking allowed ?
I wonder who among us would have loved not to see Uikit in Processwire

https://www.npmtrends.com/bulma-vs-foundation-vs-uikit

• Like 2

I have not really dun in too much on the integration of uikit on the admin side. I like the updated color pallet much more than past versions,  I really just need the layout to be responsive for mobile and for it to look somewhat decent. It could have been built using picnic.css, the current pallet, and some custom mixin styles and I would still love the admin. 

I for one am moving away from giving access to the admin for users and building my own "admin" on the frontend so users never even see the default admin. It lets me show only what I need to show and define my own actions for them to take. I do not mean to sound like I am knocking on the backend/uikit, but I like to have full control over everything presented/styles. On that last point, I do wish theming was a bit "Easier" for the admin.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, pwired said:

Processwire is decoupled so everybody is free to chose his love on the front end.

Maybe you got me wrong: I was just saying (or trying to say) that I guess that everybody knows it, because the admin uses it. It was in no way forcing anybody to use it.

26 minutes ago, pwired said:

Critical thinking allowed ?
I wonder who among us would have loved not to see Uikit in Processwire

https://www.npmtrends.com/bulma-vs-foundation-vs-uikit

Always ? But it's a little offtopic imho. And the link shows just a graph like this one...

VWQqsdL.png

HrSkHa7.png

Bulma looks also great though ? 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, bernhard said:

Bulma looks also great though

+1 Bluma looks great too, however, UIkit 3 has more features at first sight, but I admit I never used Bluma so I cannot tell for sure. UIkit 3 both supports LESS and SASS which is great in my humble opinion (I tend to prefer LESS to SASS).

Anyway, Ryan had to pick a css framework and UIkit 3 is an actively developed, popular one, full of extendible and configurable features others do not support. It was a good choice I think ? 

• Like 2

one of the great things about ui-kit is the namespacing;
you always know which classes are controlled by uikit, and if you namespace your custom css/overrides it's clean and easy to see what's going on...

• Like 2

Hi AndZyk,

Thanks for your reply.

which you have made clear multiple times . . .

Yes you are right about that. I have to be more careful or I will end up profiled ?

Although I can‘t see a reason why . . .

Thanks for that link to how to change the admin theme to the Reno theme.
It shines a new light for me on the matter.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, theo said:

Just wondering why nobody is talking about the "elephant in the room".

Maybe because the topic was intended to share a github repo about cool projects around the uikit framework. It was never ment to be a discussion thread about different css frameworks.

PW is open to everything, and therefore anybody can choose its favourite. So everybody please come back to topic or open a new one related to discussion about css frameworks. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

If it adds anything to the converstation, I have nothing against uikit, bootstrap, or whatever css framework out there. They simply exist and are there for the use how you see fit for a project or not. However none of them should end up in Processwire. Maybe I just got paranoid when I see how many likes uikit gets but in reality I don't have to worry that one day uikit get's cemented inside Processwire. I do see however a growing trend that Processwire is getting over-engineered. What happened to all the likes for Processwire getting out of your way, having nothing out of the box but only flexibility. Do those likes still exist ?

• Confused 2

You seem to be confused, let me help to clarify:

Front-end

ProcessWire will hopefully never dictate what you should use in the front-end. So you can use whatever you want, framework or not. If PW ever would force me to use something in the front-end, I would look for alternatives.

Back-end

PW uses multiple libraries for the back-end, like UIkit, jQuery, jQuery UI etc. Simply because it would be stupid to invent everything new. I don‘t care what the back-end uses as long it is nice and flexible, neither should you.

ProcessWire website

While I like that the new website will use UIkit as framework, I wouldn‘t care either if it would use something different. I am just happy it gets a relaunch.

Luckily it is not our decisions what the back-end or website of PW uses.

So one more time: Nothing should change for you. You can choose to use for your project whatever you want.

Please stop hijacking this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You seem to be confused, let me help to clarify:

Thanks for taking the effort for clarifying.

Please stop hijacking this thread.

I hear you, and will leave it behind of me.

You can choose to use for your project whatever you want.

I am already looking into the bolt cms to see if that is better choice for me.

1 hour ago, pwired said:

I am already looking into the bolt cms to see if that is better choice for me.

Sorry if I wasn’t clear enough:

You can choose with ProcessWire on the fron-end side whatever you want. If your project needs a framework, no framework or even no front-end at all is up to you. That is the beauty of PW. ?

My intention was not to drive you away from PW, that would be unfortunate. I just wanted clear some things you have mixed up. Hopefully you reconsider. ?

• Like 5

I think mods should split all of the replies to another topic.

To save @pwired some time on Bolt CMS investigation, this is talking about the backend:

https://docs.bolt.cm/3.6/internals/javascript-css-build#css-bootstrap-and-custom-scss

"The CSS is based on Bootstrap 3.3.7, with our own theming and custom styles added to that"

You can see at the end of this all the JS and CSS dependencies of the backend: https://github.com/bolt/bolt/blob/3.6/app/src/grunt/concat.js

In the frontend you have to use Twig templating.

I would like to continue this conversation in a split topic as I am curious to know, why pwired had no problem with jQuery UI being in the backend for ages even though it is very much a CSS framework as well.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

On 10/28/2018 at 6:05 PM, AndZyk said:

Front-end

ProcessWire will hopefully never dictate what you should use in the front-end. So you can use whatever you want, framework or not. If PW ever would force me to use something in the front-end, I would look for alternatives.

But there are some Problems in the Frontend when you are using Bootstrap 4 and the Front End Edit Fields... ? thats uncool (i don't know what framework (?) is used for the Frontend Editor)

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

@zoeck, it seems that you're talking about the issues caused by jQuery incompatibilities: currently the front-end editor doesn't play well with jQuery 3.x. That's a real issue, and it needs to be addressed.

That being said, front-end editing is a difficult topic. That's one border case where ProcessWire really has to step into the "developer's domain", i.e. inject it's own features (scripts, perhaps even styles) into the front-end of the site. So far I think it's been handled relatively well, but it's no surprise that some issues are going to surface.

I'd give it some time. We'll get there, eventually.

Also: if you don't want the backend system (ProcessWire in this case) to touch anything at all in the front-end of your site, you should probably steer away from front-end editing altogether. As the name says, it's a front-end feature — and as such, using it is completely optional ?

• Like 3