Benefit of modules over a plain class?

suntrop

I need some extra functions to work with user's data, implement PayPal and Stripe and some other.

Now I am wondering if there is any benefit using PW modules instead of just using a plain class and extending WireData? I do not need configurable modules and definitely not reuse them on another site … but perhaps later I need to hook into some methods. What do you think?  Module or a simple class?

Imho the big benefit of modules is installability. So anything reusable or more generic can be a fit for a module. Other than that I don't see much reason to use modules over just classes. Personally I'm of the opinion to keep modules just for the code needed to interface with processwire anyways. Business logic, which is not processwire specific can just as well be in a plain class the module brings with it.

• Like 5

Thanks! That sounds good and is what I was hoping for ?. I wasn't sure if there are any limits when it comes to the API features if I skip the module and just create a class.

BTW … what do you mean by installability? Just being able to install something isn't worth anything on its own, is it? Do I miss something here?

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 7:38 PM, LostKobrakai said:

Imho the big benefit of modules is installability.

On 10/22/2018 at 9:27 PM, suntrop said:

what do you mean by installability?

Bump. Answer needed @LostKobrakai in before to put this damn refactoring thing on the tasks list ?

Note: this topic was moved to the "Module/Plugin Development" subforum. "Modules/Plugins" area is intended for support threads of existing modules, and any module development related questions or discussions belong here ?