New to Processwire

jmonroe

I am new to ProcessWire. I just came across it via searching for platforms. I am wanting to build a social site that users can register, activate account via email confirmation, and fill in profile. They will be basically be able to share photos and people can give them a like or dislike. Pretty simple principal but I don't have any clue how to even start that with ProcessWire if it's even possible.

Any suggestions? I was going to build it using Symfony or CakePHP...something I know will work as a platform.

Thanks in advance.

I think it definitely is possible with ProcessWire, a lot of the building blocks are already there. I do think that it will take a considerable amount of programming to make it do exactly what you want. Some modules for like/dislike functionality, follow, notifications, streams, front-end logins and such. PW isn't a social platform out of the box.

If you are already comfortable with something like Symfony it may be faster using that.

Another option would be to checkout specific social networking solutions like buddypress.org or elgg.org

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply. Buddpress is decent but Elgg is horrible. Too many security flaws. And the spammers are outrageous that sign up on Elgg sites. I am not real familiar with Symfony but I know it is well capable of being used. I honestly wasn't aware of what ProcessWire truly is. Ryan emailed me and said to post up on the forum to get questions answered.

I will look around on extending ProcessWire and see what I can come up with.

I agree with SiNNuT on this one, though the likes of Symfony aren't a social platform out of the box either. I think that unless you use a pre-packaged setup like those mentioned (buddypress, etc.) you will be custom coding many of the features. And ProcessWire is a good place to do it. But you'd probably want to start from the vantage of a smaller project with ProcessWire to evaluate and determine if it's the right framework for your needs.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...