Processwire Popularity 2018

Nvim

@Nvim I never said it is accurate:

12 hours ago, Nvim said:
13 hours ago, jmartsch said:

but it tells only a part of the story, as it can not list all sites, because some sites turn off the x-powered-by header.

There is no accurate way to detect how many installations there are. Some people (like myself) are even building applications with ProcessWire which are not publically available.

I used to collect automatically how many new users would sign up in the forums per month. Unfortunately this stopped because the new forum update didn't include the overview of new users at the time. Unfortunately I can't find the thread.

I don't know if popular is the right word. I have never came accross another person who knew ProcessWire here in The Netherlands. Ofcourse people use it and I got a feeling there is growth. Most people who have used ProcessWire definately keep using it or at least they want to use it. That is on itself a great accomplishment only achieveable by a few people. Same for the good community and such loyal users while the development is solid with great pro modules. I guess it is really hard to break through a next level. Just keep promoting it ?.

• Like 5

@ryan It is an idea to implement anonymous installation statistics into the core. A user can choose if he wants them activated or not (think data protection).

With this approach there would be an overview of how many sites approx. use ProcessWire. But it's up to Ryan how important this feature would be.

15 hours ago, jmartsch said:

anonymous installation statistics

I thought about it as wel, but I'm pretty sure it have to be disabled by default and people don't tend to activate these kinds of things. Also statistics about sales and subscriptions from the pro modules would be a nice indicator too. I really like the Open Startup thing created by a Dutch guy. All his products are pretty open for example Nomadlist. This gives a pretty clear insight about popularity. Ofcourse there are many considerations to be taken in place when creating such a thing. But these kind of stats are really cool. And they tend to give more insight in the community. 

Of course there are many considerations to be taken in place when creating such a thing.

How would you make Processwire deal with the eu gpdr ? Have you seen how you must comply ? It will be a huge overhead.
Besides that, many people don't like phoning home and will start to have second thoughts about Processwire.

Hey @pwired and @louisstephens,

I was not referring to collecting anonyous data from other installations. Generally I get where the idea is coming from, but I don't think it is going to work from a practical point of view ?

I was referring to the "salesand subscriptions from the pro modules". Have you looked at the nomadlist link what kind of data they are showing? I guess that is quite possible - if you want to share it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2018 at 7:22 PM, Nvim said:

Wordpress is the choice for futureproof.

Nothing is future-proof, not WordPress, not ProcessWire and not even PHP. If it wasn't for ProcessWire I probably wouldn't even be working in PHP anymore, but for now I find PW the most flexible, versatile and most fun tool to work with. 

While I would like more recognition and user base for PW, a lack of it is not going to stop it being my tool of choice. If clients trust me, they will accept my recommendations. I continue to refuse jobs where the client only wants WP - it's just not worth the hassle during development, security issues, and updates.

To each his/her own though - if WP floats your boat then by all means use it - it's huge userbase, number of plugins, and developers familiar with it is both a blessing and a curse. For me I'd rather be part of helping to build something unique in the CMS space and the reason I built my own custom CMS's for each project for so many years - it's the ultimate flexibility of PW that drew me to it in the first place.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2018 at 7:45 PM, adrian said:

Nothing is future-proof, not WordPress, not ProcessWire and not even PHP. If it wasn't for ProcessWire I probably wouldn't even be working in PHP anymore, but for now I find PW the most flexible, versatile and most fun tool to work with. 

While I would like more recognition and user base for PW, a lack of it is not going to stop it being my tool of choice. If clients trust me, they will accept my recommendations. I continue to refuse jobs where the client only wants WP - it's just not worth the hassle during development, security issues, and updates.

To each his/her own though - if WP floats your boat then by all means use it - it's huge userbase, number of plugins, and developers familiar with it is both a blessing and a curse. For me I'd rather be part of helping to build something unique in the CMS space and the reason I built my own custom CMS's for each project for so many years - it's the ultimate flexibility of PW that drew me to it in the first place.

Noted Adrian,