celfred

OR-group in selector ?

Hello,

I'm facing a weird behavior (to me)... Why are these requests not returning the same values ?

// Test 01 : not working > returns empty
$allPlayers = $pages->find("team=$team"); // Returns the 10 players (1 of them has HP=14, others have HP>15, no players have coma=1)
$dangerPlayers = $allPlayers->find("(HP<=15), (coma=1)")->sort("coma, HP"); // Returns nothing ???
// Test 02 : Working as expected
$dangerPlayers = $pages->find("parent.name=players, team=$team, (HP<=15), (coma=1)")->sort("coma, HP"); // Returns the low HP player

If you can explain this to me, I would appreciate because this is causing me a headache right now 🙂 

Thanks !

OR-groups are a feature of PageFinder selectors - selectors that query the database, e.g. $pages->find(), $page->find(), $page->children().

WireArray::find() is a completely different kettle of fish and doesn't support OR-groups.

Related:

@ryan, it would be good if the distinction between WireArray/PageFinder selectors were covered somewhere in the official documentation.

• Like 7

@Robin S So in @celfred's first example first call of find method performs find on DB level and the second one on memory, right? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zeka said:

@Robin S So in @celfred's first example first call of find method performs find on DB level and the second one on memory, right? 

Correct.

• Like 1

Well that's a great answer ! Thanks a lot @Robin S I was completely unaware of the distinction and your explanation is perfect. I had to struggle with similar issues before and that's quite a step forward for me. Thanks !

I'm gonna take some time to think about all this and read over my code.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Robin S said:

it would be good if the distinction between WireArray/PageFinder selectors were covered somewhere in the official documentation

It is scattered all around the forum, for example:

It just needs to be compiled I guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By j__
      On a site that lists events, I am using a repeater field 'event_time', which contains two Inputfield Time fields 'event_time_start' and 'event_time_end'. Some events take place multiple times, others just once. Here's an example for the data structure:
      event1 title: First Event event_time (1): event_time_start: 08:00 event_time_end: 09:00 event2 title: Second Event event_time (1): event_time_start: 08:00 event_time_end: 09:00 event_time (2): event_time_start: 14:00 event_time_end: 18:00 event3 title: Third Event event_time (1): event_time_start: 07:00 event_time_end: 09:30 First, I'd like to generate a list of all events, sorted by event_time_start, with every repeater item added as an actual event (similar to a SQL JOIN clause). The desired output would be:
      07:00-09:30 Third Event 08:00-09:00 First Event 08:00-09:00 Second Event 14:00-18:00 Second Event A selector like
      $pages->find('template=event,event_time.event_time_start!=,sort=event_time.event_time_start'); would only return each event page once:
      07:00-09:30 Third Event 08:00-09:00 First Event 08:00-09:00 Second Event without
      14:00-18:00 Second Event Is there a possible alteration of the selector to take all different occurrences into account?
      Also I'd like to filter for events taking place in the morning, using a selector like:
      $pages->find('template=event,event_time.event_time_start>=06:00,event_time.event_time_start<=12:00,sort=event_time.event_time_start'); However, this would only return each 'event' page, which then contains also the afternoon version of event2.
      While I have the impression these are rather simple tasks, I struggle finding a selector-based solution to it. In this example on opening times are some similarities, but it does not deal with multiple occurrences. I'd appreciate your ideas to it.
    • By ridgedale
      Reference: PW 3.0.111 and uikit3 based site using the Regular-Master profile.
      I am trying to add a field that provides a dropdown menu but there are no Options or Selector(s) type available - see attached image of field types available.
      The following reference under the docs does not appear to be applicable any more:
      https://processwire.com/api/modules/select-options-fieldtype/
      I can't see how to achieve this. Any assistance would be appreciated.

• By Eunico Cornelius
      I am trying to filter my $pages with a find($selector method). 
      $matches = $pages->find($selector); and this is an example of what my selector looks like
      $selector = "include=all, title|body~=$q, limit=50"; In this case, it only searches according to the matching exact words.
      For example:we search="art", the result="art times","these art",....
      Is there any way to search based on the alphabet?
      For example: we search="ab", the result="absolutely correct","abstract art",....
    • By gRegor
      I understand from the selectors documentation:
      I have a repeater field `promo_codes` consisting of text field `title` and an integer field `number1`. I'm running a find:
      $page->promo_codes->find('title=gmtest'); The database column collation is `utf8_general_ci` so I would expect this to work, but it only works when I match the case exactly ("GMTEST").
      This is on PW 3.0.42. Any ideas? Is there an exception for finds on repeater fields?
    • By Jest
      Hi all,
      today I've run into some strange error when using selectors. The following selector works fine:
      $pages->find('template=TemplateName, (many|of|different|fields*=Searching), (year=Searching), (year>=1941, year<=1960), author*=unknown, publisher*="two, maybe three words"|unknown|"another two, maybe three words", area*=All'); Whereas this one throws an error:
      $pages->find('template=TemplateName, (many|of|different|fields*=Searching), (year=Searching), (year>=1941, year<=1960), author*=unknown, publisher*="two, maybe three words"|unknown, area*=All'); The only difference is in publisher field having only two values. The error is Exception: Unknown Selector operator: '' -- was your selector value properly escaped?
       Additional info:
      ProcessWire 3.0.62 All values are sanitized using $sanitizer->selectorValue(string) publisher value usually has commas or parenthesis publisher="one, two"|"three, four" works publisher="one, two"|three|"four, five" works publisher="one, two"|five doesn't work publisher=five works The only conclusion I can make is the selector fails when the last value of publisher is a single word. Any thoughts?
      All help is greatly appreciated!
      Jan