ridgedale

[Solved] PW3 - Dropdown Selector Field

Reference: PW 3.0.111 and uikit3 based site using the Regular-Master profile.

I am trying to add a field that provides a dropdown menu but there are no Options or Selector(s) type available - see attached image of field types available.

The following reference under the docs does not appear to be applicable any more:

https://processwire.com/api/modules/select-options-fieldtype/

I can't see how to achieve this. Any assistance would be appreciated.

PW3-FieldTypesAvailable.png

Just go to Modules > Admin and install the Select Options Module, then you can select it in the list of available Fieldtypes

• Like 6

@bernhard ,

Thanks for the prompt reply and apologies for my oversight. I must be getting tired, I thought I had checked the core modules. 😞

I'm a little surprised that module is not installed by default. Is there a particular reason it isn't?

28 minutes ago, ridgedale said:

I'm a little surprised that module is not installed by default. Is there a particular reason it isn't?

The reason (at least how I read ryan's responses to questions about the options field type) is that more often than not, a page field is the better (i.e. more flexible and extensible) solution when you want to allow the user to make a choice. Having the field type installed by default would probably tempt users to start using it right away without learning to appreciate the power and ease of page fields. There are a few use cases for the options field type, like simple dropdowns in frontend forms (that's where I use them). But a page reference field supports drag&drop reordering of options for editors, it's easy to give the template for the selectable pages a PHP template too to list all pages with that option, you can publish and unpublish "options" without deleting/adding them, regular editors can do that (and add/remove options) without a need to mess with the field's configuration, and the API side is much more intuitive and flexible too...

• Like 4

@BitPoet ,

Thanks for the clarification. That's greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, BitPoet said:

There are a few use cases for the options field type, like simple dropdowns in frontend forms (that's where I use them).

That's how I'm intending using it. So I'm glad I'm on the right track.

Many thanks again for your reply.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Robin S
      Lister Selector
      A Process module that uses Lister/ListerPro, but with a selector string input instead of the normal InputfieldSelector filters.
      Features
      For power users, typing a selector string is often faster and more intuitive than fiddling with InputfieldSelector. It also lets you copy/paste selector strings that you might be using somewhere else in your code.
      Allows the Lister rows to be sorted by multiple fields (not possible in Lister/ListerPro)
      Allows the use of OR-groups (not possible in Lister/ListerPro)
      If ListerPro is installed you can run ListerPro actions on the listed pages - the available actions are defined in the module config.
      Bookmarks can be configured in the module config and accessed via the flyout menu for the module page.
      Usage
      Type your selector string on the Selector tab. The selector is applied when the "Selector string" field is blurred, so hit Tab when you have finished typing your selector.
      Unlike Lister/ListerPro, you can't sort results by clicking the column headings. Control the sort within the selector string instead.
      Superusers can jump to the module config (e.g. to create a bookmark) by clicking the cog icon at the top right of the module interface.
      The module is mostly intended for use by superusers, because in most cases site editors won't understand the ProcessWire selector string syntax. If you want another role to be able to access Lister Selector then give the role the "lister-selector" permission. Only superusers can define bookmarks because in ProcessWire module config screens are only accessible to superusers.
      Screenshots
      Process page

Module config (when ListerPro is installed)

Advanced
      If for any reason you want to create dynamic bookmark links to Lister Selector for a given selector you can do that like this:
      /** @var $pls ProcessListerSelector */ $pls = $modules->get('ProcessListerSelector'); $selector = "template=foo, title%=bar"; $pls_link = $pls->getProcessPage()->url . '?bm=' . $pls->urlSafeBase64Encode($selector); echo "<a href='$pls_link'>My link</a>";  
      https://github.com/Toutouwai/ProcessListerSelector
      https://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-lister-selector/
    • By ottogal
      Hello all,
      using PW 3.0.148 with the regular site profile for a blog, I got an an empty pagination output when I had a Toggle field in the selector.
      The Toggle Fieldtype was introduced with https://processwire.com/blog/posts/pw-3.0.139/ .
      The selector resulting in empty pagination:
      $posts = $pages->find("parent=blog, sort=-date, limit=10, toggle_field=0"); It worked well, when I replaced the Toggle field with a Checkbox field:
      $posts = $pages->find("parent=blog, sort=-date, limit=10, checkbox_field=0"); So the prerequisites for the pagination to work are given.
      The settings for the Toggle field were:
      Formatted value: Integer Label Type: Yes/No Input Type: Toggle buttons Default selected option: No Thanks for any hints!
    • By snck
      Hi there,
      I have a problem constructing a selector that finds all pages that refer to pages with a specific template.
      I have pages using an event template and I want to show events based on a specific context. In this example I want to filter the results and only show event pages that relate to a specific template (exhibitions) in their page field related_pages.
      What I tried:
      $events = $pages->find("template=event, related_pages.template.name=exhibition"); Unfortunately it does not work (0 results).
      Same with this:
      $events = $pages->find("template=event, related_pages=[template.name=exhibition]"); At the moment I am helping myself with the following lines, but I have a strong feeling that there is a more efficient solution:
      $events = $pages->find("template=event"); foreach($events as $event){ if(!count($event->related_pages->find("template=exhibition"))){ $events->remove($event); } }  
      I really hope that one of you can help me out.
      Thanks in advance!
      Flo
    • By Pip
      Hi, Everyone! 
      I'm currently working on a page reference field and set it for multiple pages (AsmSelect) for the input. Is there a way for me to add an image field (aka Avatar) and the title of page in the radio button? 
      I used the field name enclosed in the { }. Didn't work. It appeared a text instead. 
      Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon!
    • By EyeDentify
      Hello dear PW gurus.

I have stumbled over a strange error that i all of sudden got when trying to upload an image to a images field on a page.
      There where images allready stored in the field that i wanted to keep, but during the upload the error apear and after that all images are gone from the field and i can´t upload any, i just get the error every time.
      I am running ProcessWire 3.0.153 dev.
      Update:
      After looking in the assets folder i find the folder for the page and the image files seems to be there including the ones i tried to upload when the error occured.
      But they don´t show up in the images field in the page editor.

The error reported:

SQLSTATE[01000]: Warning: 1265 Data truncated for column 'ratio' at row 1 And here is a screenshot of the event:

The TracyDebugger Error reporting:

I hope you fine folks could point me in a direction.
      But it seems our old pal set_time_limit() is back.

Regards, EyeDentify