[Solved] PW3 - Dropdown Selector Field

ridgedale

Reference: PW 3.0.111 and uikit3 based site using the Regular-Master profile.

I am trying to add a field that provides a dropdown menu but there are no Options or Selector(s) type available - see attached image of field types available.

The following reference under the docs does not appear to be applicable any more:

https://processwire.com/api/modules/select-options-fieldtype/

I can't see how to achieve this. Any assistance would be appreciated.

PW3-FieldTypesAvailable.png

28 minutes ago, ridgedale said:

I'm a little surprised that module is not installed by default. Is there a particular reason it isn't?

The reason (at least how I read ryan's responses to questions about the options field type) is that more often than not, a page field is the better (i.e. more flexible and extensible) solution when you want to allow the user to make a choice. Having the field type installed by default would probably tempt users to start using it right away without learning to appreciate the power and ease of page fields. There are a few use cases for the options field type, like simple dropdowns in frontend forms (that's where I use them). But a page reference field supports drag&drop reordering of options for editors, it's easy to give the template for the selectable pages a PHP template too to list all pages with that option, you can publish and unpublish "options" without deleting/adding them, regular editors can do that (and add/remove options) without a need to mess with the field's configuration, and the API side is much more intuitive and flexible too...

• Like 4

@BitPoet ,

Thanks for the clarification. That's greatly appreciated.

3 minutes ago, BitPoet said:

There are a few use cases for the options field type, like simple dropdowns in frontend forms (that's where I use them).

That's how I'm intending using it. So I'm glad I'm on the right track.

Many thanks again for your reply.