Dollar Street - See how the rest of the world lives, organized by income

bernhard

Dollar street ? Central bank prints Dollars like paper, banks lends Dollars just with digital numbers in a computer. Lol you don´t hear that on TED.
Back to the website. Looking in the Page Source at the assets paths this site could have been made with Processwire, not sure.
They used bootstrap 3.3.7 for the css layout. Looking at the header, the website doesn't inform about their real goal,
but showing a truck load full of pictures. Is it just me, or does the website inform where the donation money is going ?
Just my 5 cts , peace out ✌️

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, pwired said:

I don't see this thread making any violations against rule 4 (politics&religion) of posting rules.
Unless money and a new social platform is interpreted as such.

New Oxford American Dictionary, politics:

among other similar definitions, it says: "...the assumptions or principles relating to or inherent in a sphere, theory, or thing, especially when concerned with power and status in a society..."

Anyway, your reply to the topic is even one step closer to "hard core politics", so it is clearly a controversial topic. If I were to really tell you what I think about this topic, that would be certainly called politics. You see, people does not live in poverty or receive low income because they chose it (except for a very few individuals) but mostly because they are forced to. From this point on, we are talking about politics...

Hi szabesz,

Reading your post only shows your interpretation of rule 4, borrowed from  "New Oxford American Dictionary, politics:"
rule 4 is open to other interpretations as well.

Suggestion: Pete could edit rule 4 to prevent it from being open to interpretations.

Sorry, that thread went in a wrong direction and that was not my intention! ?

First, I have to say that I disagree with you @szabesz that this was a posting containing political/regligious content. IMHO the video just shows a project that uses web-technology to show how people around the world are similar to each other, independently from their religion, political opinion, skin colour etc.;

39 minutes ago, szabesz said:

Anyway, your reply to the topic is even one step closer to "hard core politics", so it is clearly a controversial topic.

I agree with that. I didn't understand his posting. That's why I reacted "confused", but I didn't comment it.

39 minutes ago, szabesz said:

New Oxford American Dictionary, politics:

among other similar definitions, it says: "...the assumptions or principles relating to or inherent in a sphere, theory, or thing, especially when concerned with power and status in a society..."

• 1treated as singular or plural The activities associated with the governance of a country or area, especially the debate between parties having power.

‘the party quickly gained influence in French politics’

‘thereafter he dropped out of active politics’
    More example sentences
    Synonyms
    1. 1.1 The activities of governments concerning the political relations between states.
      ‘in the conduct of global politics, economic status must be backed by military capacity’

More example sentences
    2. 1.2 The academic study of government and the state.
      as modifier ‘a politics lecturer’

More example sentences
      Synonyms
    3. 1.3 A particular set of political beliefs or principles.
      ‘people do not buy their paper purely for its politics’

More example sentences
      Synonyms
    4. 1.4often the politics ofThe principles relating to or inherent in a sphere or activity, especially when concerned with power and status.
      ‘the politics of gender’

More example sentences
      Synonyms
  • 2Activities aimed at improving someone's status or increasing power within an organization.

‘yet another discussion of office politics and personalities’

IMHO your quote was out of context. I can't see any of those definitions match to the video content I posted.

2 hours ago, horst said:

@bernhard should I hide / delete that thread?

Feel free to do that. Even if I disagree I'm of course fine with deleting it. The thread went in a wrong direction and I understand that it is good to focus on what everything here is about: ProcessWire.

I also edited my post, I removed the links to the donations and support section of the project. The descriptions of those links where copy-pasted from the ted website, so their wording might have been wrong for the context here in this forum. I apologize for that.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bernhard said:

Sorry, that thread went in a wrong direction and that was not my intention!

I am sure it was not your intention and I understand why you posted this, however I am probably too strict in this matter. Also, I would be able to point out why I oppose the motivation behind this initiative but that would certainly be called politics.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, pwired said:

Reading your post only shows your interpretation of rule 4, borrowed from  "New Oxford American Dictionary, politics:"
rule 4 is open to other interpretations as well.

Suggestion: Pete could edit rule 4 to prevent it from being open to interpretations.

As i already said, I also disagree with that interpretation and connecting it to my video. But I don't think we need to take any corrective actions on the forum rules. It's a great community as it is, so let's make things easy and just hide/delete this thread ? 

Just now, szabesz said:

Also, I would be able to point out why I oppose the motivation behind this initiative but that would certainly be called politics.

True.

@horst we need your magic ? 

• Like 2

Also, I would be able to point out why I oppose the motivation behind this initiative but that would certainly be called politics.

Spot on. You made me aware of it that, that was my motivation to write the post I did. So in the end, yes, politics.
Sorry for that.

• Like 3

Hhm, sorry, I was very busy and disabled all notifications for the last 7 hours, to get not distracted.

On the topic: We can hide it, or we can keep it. It is not (only) my decision. (?)

@kongondo has locked it, maybe that is enough in this case?
(So everybody can read what happened, but we avoid further discussions into the wrong directions.)

• Like 3