Complete Noob PHP Question

Tom.

I have no idea why, but I can't solve this haha! I have a block system that groups two half blocks together. So it checks what comes before or after it to create the markup

<div class="masonry flex flex-wrap -ml-1 -mt-1">
    <div class="masonry-sizer w-1/2 lg:w-1/3"></div>
    <?php foreach($value as $item): $item->block = $blocks[$item->size->value]; ?>
      <?php if($item->size->value == 'half' && $item->prev()->size->value == 'half'): ?>
      <?php else: ?>
        <div class="pl-1 mt-1 <?=$item->block['class']?>">
      <?php endif; ?>

<?=$item->render()?>

<?php if($item->size->value == 'half' && $item->next()->size->value == 'half'): ?>
      <?php else: ?>
        </div>
      <?php endif; ?>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
  </div>

So I've got the logic down, however I don't want the else. Easy solution, I just turn it into a false. 

<div class="masonry flex flex-wrap -ml-1 -mt-1">
    <div class="masonry-sizer w-1/2 lg:w-1/3"></div>
    <?php foreach($value as $item): $item->block = $blocks[$item->size->value]; ?>
      <?php if($item->size->value != 'half' && $item->prev()->size->value != 'half'): ?>
        <div class="pl-1 mt-1 <?=$item->block['class']?>">
      <?php endif; ?>

<?=$item->render()?>

<?php if($item->size->value != 'half' && $item->next()->size->value != 'half'): ?>
        </div>
      <?php endif; ?>
    <?php endforeach; ?>
  </div>

I assumed that would work. I thought wrong! hahaha. 

Maybe my brain just isn't on it today. Anyone know what's happening here? 

Boolean logic says that, if you want to negate a compound term, you need to negate each individual term AND change the operator. This is commonly referred to as De Morgan's law.

!(a and b) = !a or !b

Thus, you only need to change the and to or in your if clause:

<?php if($item->size->value != 'half' || $item->prev()->size->value != 'half'): ?>

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, BitPoet said:

Boolean logic says that, if you want to negate a compound term, you need to negate each individual term AND change the operator. This is commonly referred to as De Morgan's law.

!(a and b) = !a or !b

Thus, you only need to change the and to or in your if clause:

<?php if($item->size->value != 'half' || $item->prev()->size->value != 'half'): ?>

Perfect response, thank you very much ? I just couldn't get my head around the logic for some reason.