[SOLVED] checking values in jQuery / Javascript array

PWaddict

I'm currently using this on my php template which outputs this: <script type="text/javascript">var coupons = ['CODE1','CODE2',];</script>

<script type="text/javascript">var coupons = <?php $coupons = $pages->find("template=paddiscount, title!='', pad_percentage!=''");
echo "[";
foreach($coupons as $coupon) {
  echo "'" . $coupon->title . "',";
}
echo "];";
?></script>

and the related code on my main.js is this:

var discount = $form.find('input[name=pad_discount_code]').val();

if (discount != '' && $.inArray(discount, coupons) == -1) {
  alert('Discount code not found');
} 

The above is working properly but now on the php template I need to add in the array also a timestamp value ($coupon->pad_valid_until) and on main.js I need to also check if there is timestamp associated with the coupon entered and if that timestamp is less than today then alert('Discount code expired');

I don't have much experience with this stuff and I don't know how to proceed. Can you please help me?

• PWaddict changed the title to NEED HELP for checking values in jQuery / Javascript array

Ok I found how to do it:

On php template:

<script type="text/javascript">var coupons = <?php $coupons = $pages->find("template=paddiscount, title!='', pad_percentage!=''");
echo "{";
  if ($coupon->pad_valid_until) {
    echo " '" . $coupon->title . "' : " . "'" . date("Y-m-d", $coupon->pad_valid_until) . "'" . ",";
  } else {
    echo " '" . $coupon->title . "' : " . "'" . "" . "'" . ",";
  }
}
echo "};";
?></script>

Outputs something like this: <script type="text/javascript">var coupons = { 'CODE1' : '', 'CODE2' : '2018-09-30',};</script>

And the related code on main.js:

var discount = $form.find('input[name=pad_discount_code]').val();

var today = new Date();
var dd = today.getDate();
var mm = today.getMonth() + 1;
var yyyy = today.getFullYear();

if (dd < 10) {
  dd = '0' + dd;
}

if (mm < 10) {
  mm = '0' + mm;
}

today = yyyy + '-' + mm + '-' + dd;

if (discount != '' && (!coupons.hasOwnProperty(discount))) {

alert('Discount code not found');

} else if (discount != '' && coupons[discount] != '' && coupons[discount] <= today) {

alert('Discount code expired');

}

• Like 3

• PWaddict changed the title to [SOLVED] checking values in jQuery / Javascript array

What @AndZyk said.

Below is one way to do it. Before that though, logic whether something exists should really be done server-side. Yes, you can also do client-side checks the way you are doing it (just for UX) as long as you also validate things server-side. Otherwise, if you only do it client-side, it is easy to change the 'valid until date' of the coupon in the markup and send that to the server which would honour the coupon and you'd incur a loss in your takings :-). I hope you are also checking server-side.

OK, here's the code. It makes things cleaner, more readable and is less prone to mistakes since PHP handles the JSON string.

<?php

// initialise variables
	$couponsArray = array();
	$couponsJSON = '';

// fetch coupons
	$coupons = $pages->find("template=paddiscount, title!='', pad_percentage!=''");

// we found coupons
	if($coupons->count) {
		// loop through coupons and add values to coupons array
			// if coupon valid until, get human readable valid until date, else empty
			$couponValidUntil = $coupon->pad_valid_until ? date("Y-m-d", $coupon->pad_valid_until) : '';
			$couponsArray[$coupon->title] = $couponValidUntil;
		}
		// generate JSON string of coupons for JavaScript
		$couponsJSON = json_encode($couponsArray);
	}

?>
<!-- html here -->
<script type="text/javascript">var coupons = <?php echo $couponsJSON ?></script>

Then in your JavaScript do your checks, if var coupons is not empty, etc.

Hope this helps :-).

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, PWaddict said:

@kongondo I will try it with your code. Thanks. Isn't the server-side checking done by Padloper? If you go to PadOrderProcess.php on the line 95 there is a piece of code for checking the checkout form for invalid and expired coupons.

Ah. I thought you were doing your own implementation.

@kongondo The coupons are actually exposed in my checkout page source. So I created a new hidden page with a different template and added there only your code to avoid exposing them but now I'm not sure how to proceed.

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

$couponsArray = array();
$couponsJSON = '';

if($coupons->count) {

$couponValidUntil = $coupon->pad_valid_until ? date("Y-m-d", $coupon->pad_valid_until) : '';
  }

} ?>
<?php if($coupons->count) { ?>
<script type="text/javascript">var coupons = <?= $couponsJSON ?>;</script>
<?php } else { ?>
<script type="text/javascript">var coupons = '';</script>
<?php } ?>

On checkout page I'm getting the error: "coupons is not defined" on console which is obvious cause this is a different page.

I think I figured it out. I had to set the template with the hidden coupons page to json header and then modify the js code like this:

$.get('../my-hidden-coupons-page/', function (data) {

var coupons = data;

if (discount != '' && (!coupons.hasOwnProperty(discount))) {

alert('Discount not found');

} else if (discount != '' && coupons[discount] != '' && coupons[discount] <= today) {

alert('Discount expired');

}
});

and here is the final code for the php template for the hidden page that will get all the available coupons ONLY via ajax:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

$couponsArray = array();
$couponsJSON = '';

if($coupons->count) {

}

header('Content-Type: application/json');
}

if($config->ajax) {
  echo $couponsJSON;
} ?>

If I did something wrong please let me know.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I was replying as your reply came in :-). Yes, that is the issue. Is there any reason your discount page titles would be empty? I mean, would the selector still work without adding the title!=''?

I had it there since the beginning where I was actually only validating the title (see first post). So removing title!='' and adding include=all does the job.