Template backups?

STA

Hello fellow PW-ers!

First post here, but I'm actually a relatively long time user. Today I finally came up with an issue that justifies asking for help.

Does anyone know of a way to manage the templates directory from the admin interface? Something along the lines of the database backups module, that would allow me to upload a zip file and dump it over the files of the templates directory.

I'm now facing a client that uses a dedicated server, has everything locked down, and has no FTP. They've setup PW for me, but now the only way for me to update the site is by sending them a zip that they then extract in the server. Imagine trying to fix problems and touching up markup like this. It's Hoover level of suck.

Thanks for your time and help.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, STA said:

I'm now facing a client that uses a dedicated server, has everything locked down, and has no FTP

Seriously?! ? OK... no FTP is actually a good idea, but "everything locked down and doing updates via zip" does not sound good to me ^^

12 hours ago, pwired said:

Dedicated server hosting always comes with SSH access.

I'd also go via SSH (if you are using Windows I can recommend WinSCP) or you could also use GIT to host your files and do a git pull on the server once you pushed an update (or even do that automatically with a webhook). Using GIT you'd also have version control for your project.

Oh, and welcome to the forum ?

• Like 1

Thanks for all your input guys. I'll check out those modules. At least one of them seems to do the trick.

13 hours ago, pwired said:

Dedicated server hosting always comes with SSH access.

Yup, but this seems to be local machine that sits in their office. It makes absolutely no sense to use this kind of thing to host a website nowadays for way too many reasons. They say they had an SFTP at some time and eventually decided to close it because there was an attack. To me that suggests "use a decent provider that keeps an eye on things and is actively 1 step ahead", but hey. I could give them 5 providers from the top of my head that would charge them less than 5€ a month and take all the pain away from hosting -_-

55 minutes ago, bernhard said:

Seriously?! ? OK... no FTP is actually a good idea, but "everything locked down and doing updates via zip" does not sound good to me ^^

That was my immediate reaction. What happens when down the line an issue is detected, something needs updating, or you ask for a change? E-mailing zips around and crossing fingers hoping everything works?

57 minutes ago, bernhard said:

I'd also go via SSH (if you are using Windows I can recommend WinSCP) or you could also use GIT to host your files and do a git pull on the server once you pushed an update (or even do that automatically with a webhook). Using GIT you'd also have version control for your project.

Well, I do like the GIT option. Maybe I'll suggest that if everything else fails. I'm not really hopeful, because that's work on the tech's side and the guy doesn't want to even have FTP, the lazy f***.

• Like 1