Future of Padloper - New Project Lead Announcement

kongondo

4 minutes ago, kongondo said:

I am pretty much building a Shopify!

I'm sure you do. ? I'm looking forward building headache-free ecommerce sites for my clients and enjoy it while I do. Until then, I'll politely decline those projects. ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kongondo said:

I understand ?. Look at it this way (as a friend put it), I am pretty much building a Shopify!

¡EXACTLY! I'm already exhausted thinking it's being done by one person (?) lol

• Like 2

Hey @kongondo and all others...

I'm not sure if this question was asked before:

A customer of mine wants to add a little shopping cart to her website and Padloper would exactly fit her needs.
Is it worth buying an "old license" at this point in time and can I upgrade to the new version in the future, at best free of charge?

This is a difficult decision for my part, as I cannot judge how long it will actually take until the next version is released. What would you recommend?

Best regards!

6 hours ago, DV-JF said:

Hey @kongondo and all others...

I'm not sure if this question was asked before:

A customer of mine wants to add a little shopping cart to her website and Padloper would exactly fit her needs.
Is it worth buying an "old license" at this point in time and can I upgrade to the new version in the future, at best free of charge?

This is a difficult decision for my part, as I cannot judge how long it will actually take until the next version is released. What would you recommend?

Best regards!

I would say go with another solution for now. I respect Kongondo for not rushing this out to market, it makes me more more excited to see it. Software development should never have timescales unless you are dealing with a client, which I know you are, but lets not rush good work. I am guessing this shouldn't even really be called Padloper anymore, so I wouldn't expect a free of charge upgrade, and in fact I hope there is no license fee reduction just because you have the previous version. I would like to reward Kongondo for his work as I do Ryan by purchasing his Pro modules, even if I don't use them.

• Like 4

Hi @DV-JF I would look into SnipWire for now. Original Padloper is essentially a dead project, and is complicated enough that the time spent trawling the forum for answers won't pay off your end.

Having built a semi complicated site with original Padloper, I have a few questions:

1. Customer Accounts: by this I mean something like WooCommerce's My Account, ie a user registration / login process and front end customer dashboard for editing account info, viewing order status etc. I bought this up a while back and it was determined this won't be part of Padloper. This is fine, but my question is how easily will Padloper integrate with Processwire users. For example a major problem with original Padloper was there was no direct way to manage different customer billing and shipping addresses... I had to hack the Padloper module files to do this which is obviously not ideal. A standard offering in all e-commerce platform is optional account creation and management. 

2. Order status pages: following on from the above, will there be a concept similar to the Shopify "order status page"? This is a self contained url endpoint for an order that a customer can visit any time to track order delivery information. Generally this is linked to from order confirmation emails, so even if a user has checkout out as guest they can still visit a page to see delivery status updates. I am not sure if Shopify put this behind some kind of auth process, but doing so might be a nice touch.

3. Performance: WooCommerce is notorious for slowing down considerably with more than a few hundred products. Magento requires 1 cpu core per 2 simultaneous backend requests https://devdocs.magento.com/guides/v2.3/performance-best-practices/hardware.html ??!!!! Whilst I am sure this has been a consideration, I'm still interested in the performance characteristics of the new Padloper. Will we processwire devs need to get more familiar with solutions other projects use like Redis for object caching? Does it inherently benefit from being built on top of Processwire and thus scale easier?

Hope this is all relevant and makes sense. Cheers!

Edit: removed first question as I was confused about Stripes offering. 

7 hours ago, Mikie said:

Hi @DV-JF I would look into SnipWire for now. Original Padloper is essentially a dead project, and is complicated enough that the time spent trawling the forum for answers won't pay off your end.

Hey @Mikie,

thank you for this hint. Unfortunately this isn't an option for the upcoming project cause this service is not hosted in the EU. In any case I will have a closer look at it, maybe I can use it in one or the other project.

8 hours ago, cb2004 said:

[...] so I wouldn't expect a free of charge upgrade, and in fact I hope there is no license fee reduction just because you have the previous version. [...]

I'm not only concerned with the costs that would arise from an upgrade. Of course I'm willing to pay for good software and also support Ryan with the use of some ProModules.

I just wanted to clarify beforehand if I can still use the old version of Padloper, which I have already had good experience with, even if it has been difficult at times. Or if the new version of Padloper will be available in the very near future and if it is worth waiting for.

• Like 1

@DV-JF Kongongdo has outlined in his first post the billing / license structure will be similar to Ryan's pro modules, and that current Padloper users will get an upgrade discount on release. No mention of free upgrades however, and no way of knowing the actual pricing of upcoming Padloper version or when it will be released. Just my opinion but if you have experience with current Padloper seems like a no-brainer to me, you can charge the license cost on to your client for less than a month or two of shopify. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @kongondo , I hope you are right and didn’t infected by the virus.

I’m also interested in, because 2 projects are waiting for me in the next 2 months.

For me for example would be good also if I could test beta, as my sites will be also under development.

Now we don’t know at this point what re we waiting for. :(

For me only a 2 sencence answer would be enough, regarding should I wait for Padloper 2 or not if I’d like to start 2 basic webshop projects?

Thank you and keep up the good work!

I decided to go with Snipcart for the time being, the new SnipWire module came just at the right time. Processwire is in such a great need of a good ecommerce module.

I hope I can update those stores to Padloper once it's out.

35 minutes ago, Jozsef said:

I decided to go with Snipcart for the time being, the new SnipWire module came just at the right time. Processwire is in such a great need of a good ecommerce module.

I hope I can update those stores to Padloper once it's out.

Paying a percentage of the turnover is never an option for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the effort here, but remember @kongondo that many of us aren't looking for that full list of features from your original post two years ago. I'd much prefer a performant cut down version and the ability to give you some money for ongoing development than one giant release with all the bells and whistles. MVP > feedback from real customers > new releases. 

Thanks and i hope everybody is okay considering the current climate =D 

• Like 5

On 5/24/2020 at 9:19 PM, huseyin said:

With Covid19 there are many shop requests. 

I did not wanted to lose them and so i startet to code on my own. 

After Padloper will be released than i will see if i switch to it for future projects... 

As i mentioned before;
I started my own e-commerce project and had to say i was afraid at beginning.
This is my first OOP project, so i spent some time to find my way. 
But i am very happy when i see my progress and the results step by step...

It will surely not as future rich as Padloper but my clients do not use many futures anyway. Mainly the general things....

Hope to present my first Ecommerce project on PW here soon....

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2018 at 4:35 PM, kongondo said:

Padloper 2 will not support the current ‘any page can be a product’ paradigm. Technically, products will still be pages. However, all products will utilise the same Padloper template. These will be invisible to the shop users themselves (e.g., hidden in admin tree). Only superusers will have full control of the Padloper system stuff.

What does this mean? What's the reason for the change?

@desbest The answers to your questions are on that very same post:

Padloper 2 will be a major release that incorporates a new, central backend shop for Padloper. This will be a new process module that pulls from the existing parts of Padloper (data models, etc) into one interface (more on this below). This version will also be extensible in the frontend, allowing for the plugging in of a new, optional, commercial frontend shop (full featured shop profile).

and

A new backend interface will be the major visual difference between the existing Padloper and Padloper 2. It goes beyond visual differences though. The new backend will be the single gateway for managing all shop-related features, both current and new ones.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, could somebody help me out, how can I install a quick demo using Padloper site profile?

I bought Padloper 1 and would like try it ASAP, but I can't see the site profile in the package I downloaded.

Thanks!

@kongondo, I am aware that this doesn't help, but I was wondering just how close are we to an announcement? The current COVID situation just brought so many extra ecommerce projects to life, a beta / alpha release could pick up great momentum with the PW community, I'm sure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jozsef said:

@kongondo, I am aware that this doesn't help, but I was wondering just how close are we to an announcement? The current COVID situation just brought so many extra ecommerce projects to life, a beta / alpha release could pick up great momentum with the PW community, I'm sure.

I'm totally agree with your opinion. Even it's beta.. We could start to implement it, use it, find bugs, help to fix it etc. We could start our projects and show something to our clients, get familiar with the system.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...