Future of Padloper - New Project Lead Announcement

kongondo

On 7/2/2019 at 3:48 AM, kongondo said:
On 6/26/2019 at 2:32 AM, B3ta said:

There are a lot of solid solutions out there at the moment,

Please point me to some examples, thanks.

Hi Kongondo...

So I'm not sure if this is what B3ta is referring to - one solid piece that has gone through a bit of a wringer in terms of testing and configuration/transformation over the years is CS-Cart, which was originally in itself an offshoot of X-Cart.

I believe both carts now have multishop setups. I am more familiar with the CS-Cart edition.

Its a bit tricky, because on some level the owner needs to be able to decide if they want to have one unified database in the backend for various shops (the 'food court') model where you have multiple shops for different types of food but they all share one big common kitchen in the back and also share the credit card processing. Or the subcontract model where each store on the back end has its own unique instance in place with a universal dashboard that allows an admin to oversee everything.

My advice, do not touch it with a 10-foot pole. As much as I love the idea, in practice the coding and debugging required has been a real nightmare/evolution for other products. How deep will admin go? Will customers be shared? Will customers use different logins for each storefront? Do cart contents carry over from one store to another? Do all storefronts have the same shipping and tax rules? Is there a shared pool of inventory that only the admin sees and that sub-storefront admins can pull from? Are products added by sub-storefront owners shareable?

There are just a ton of variables laid on top of the shopping cart platform which already has a tendency to become super bloaty and confusing. CS-Cart made some serious errors during the evolution of their product, it has taken many years for them to iron own the kinks and hurt feelings that multi-vendor has created.

I'd love to see a step up from padloper in terms of interface-in-place. Looking forward to the alphabetagamma.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

@Mikie my thoughts/hopes too ?

I'm in the predicament of trying to put the client off adding a store at this time but it's hard as I can't specify a rough date, so I might have to build it in the old version of Padloper, which as you say is pretty handicapped.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/9/2019 at 7:17 AM, k07n said:

@kongondo, have U any good news for us? Just say you're ok ;)

Hi @k07n. Yes, I am OK, thanks ?.

I do have some good news but cannot share it now. There was a bit of a rethink about the GUI/UX but we are making some great progress.

On 11/14/2019 at 2:56 PM, Mikie said:

Hey @kongondo another question, will parts of padloper live in thier own custom data store, or is it all in the site db?

Hi @Mikie  I am not sure what you mean by custom data store. Currently everything will live in the site DB (i.e. accessible via ProcessWire's $database). I'd like to hear more about your line of thinking, thanks.

All, sorry it's been a while since the last update. Rest assured that we are working on this as fast as we possibly can with great enthusiasm and motivation without sacrificing quality ?

• Like 8

12 hours ago, kongondo said:

Hi @Mikie  I am not sure what you mean by custom data store. Currently everything will live in the site DB (i.e. accessible via ProcessWire's $database). I'd like to hear more about your line of thinking, thanks.

Hi @kongondo, I don't know where I got it but my initial impression of your variations module was that it was using sqlite or something. Just had another look and believe I am wrong, everything seems to be in templates and pages.

15 hours ago, Mikie said:

Just had another look and believe I am wrong, everything seems to be in templates and pages.

That's right. However, Padloper 2 also uses custom Fieldtypes and custom (non-PW) tables where it makes better (technical) sense to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

@kongondoI am using opencart one of my project and i am waiting for padloper 2 to transfer it. 

important things for me is

-international multi language and currency system.(detecting customer language and redirect him to that language) (also adding shipping and custom prices according to location of customer)

- integration with local store barcode software. (when product sold in real store stock must be populated on online store)

2 hours ago, kkalgidim said:

international multi language and currency system.

This is already integrated. Each country (most countries!) has its own locale data (currency symbol, tax rate, provincial/territorial taxes if applicable, tax names, decimal symbol, etc). Tax rates can be overridden per country (and per territory if applicable).

detecting customer language and redirect him to that language

This is a frontend issue which you will need to integrate yourself using ProcessWire $language API and your method of detecting customers location (taking into account the various pros and cons of each).

also adding shipping and custom prices according to location of customer

This is about shipping zones. It is already built in but you will have to set up the zones yourself including:

• The shipping countries (and territories if applicable)
  • Shipping rates in that zone, whether they are flat- or price- or quantity- or weight-based
  • Whether you are using shipping classes (e.g. light goods, fragile products, hazardous, bulky, etc)
  • As well as shipping methods (e.g. normal, express, next day, Post Office, etc).
  • Specifying a maximum shipping fee (if you wish) as well as shipping handling fee (optional)
  • Etc

The above allow a lot of control straight out of the box.

integration with local store barcode software. (when product sold in real store stock must be populated on online store)

This is about a 3rd-party software. You will have to do the integration yourself using Padloper 2 API (for inventory). Probably not practical in your case, but please note that in Padloper 2 you can manually create an order (or using the API).

Edited by kongondo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/27/2019 at 2:35 AM, Ivo said:

Would it be relatively easy to hook in a shipping provider (ie Australia Post)? Also I assume it would be easy to send data post transaction to Xero?

I know this sounds super easy, and for one provider it sortof is. The issue might be that updating and keeping track of freight APIs for everyone would become a costly development project in itself. Might make more sense to provide API hooks that can be used to push to services like IFTTT or Zapier and see if they already have connectors to postal service APIs.

Same goes for accounting bits. I know Xero has Zapier integration:

https://zapier.com/apps/xero/integrations

This whole vertical integrations issue is something X-Cart and CS-Cart struggled with for a long time, most clients in the meantime ended up opting to work with ShipStation if they had complex freight calculation requirements - they passed the freight on to a piece of software dedicated to the task. I think they had a tax tool integration also to handle various tax jurisdictions, etc. which is also fun.

https://www.shipstation.com/developer-api/#/introduction/shipstation-api-requirements/server-responses

or (as we ended up doing) doing direct integration because we had simple vertical distribution (FBA) and Amazon controlled the rates - which got a little more complicated once we needed to have separate FBA accounts for different regions, different inventory counts for different FBA accounts, and different shopping locales.

To make things nuttier, CS-Cart recently added in warehousing which is let's you balance inventory between multiple freight locations:

https://blog.cs-cart.com/2019/11/07/meet-cs-cart-4-11-1-with-warehouses-and-other-improvements/

I haven't gone through the nuts and bolts to see how box count, product distribution per box per order, warehouse location for boxes and freight accounts for warehouse locations all work together in a multi-vendor e-commerce package.

I imagine it is trying to run a synchronized swimming routine with farm animals.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2019 at 3:48 AM, kongondo said:

Hi @k07n. Yes, I am OK, thanks ?.

I do have some good news but cannot share it now. There was a bit of a rethink about the GUI/UX but we are making some great progress.

All, sorry it's been a while since the last update. Rest assured that we are working on this as fast as we possibly can with great enthusiasm and motivation without sacrificing quality ?

Looking forward to when the good news comes! ??

As @Pete said earlier, if you need anyone to test it out, give us a shout.

• Like 1

Does anyone know what is involved for connecting products to / selling through instagram? Done a quick search but not really clear, just thought I'd check if anyone had more experience.

In the context of Padloper v3 I'd assume this might end up being handled by an external module as I haven't seen mention of it in this thread.

On 12/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, Ivo said:

Would it be relatively easy to hook in a shipping provider (ie Australia Post)? Also I assume it would be easy to send data post transaction to Xero?

The response I was going to give is aptly summarised by @gornycreative  (quoted below...)

On 12/28/2019 at 10:46 PM, gornycreative said:

I know this sounds super easy, and for one provider it sortof is. The issue might be that updating and keeping track of freight APIs for everyone would become a costly development project in itself. Might make more sense to provide API hooks that can be used to push to services like IFTTT or Zapier and see if they already have connectors to postal service APIs.

It would be a nightmare to keep track of global freight. We will provide hooks on our side to facilitate this. However, whilst we will strive to cater for different scenarios, we will prioritise making sure the API works for the bigger providers first and/or the most popular (with respect to our client base). Please note that this (and other advanced features will be incrementally added to Padloper 2 but will certainly not make it in the first release).

On 1/21/2020 at 12:44 AM, Mikie said:

Does anyone know what is involved for connecting products to / selling through instagram?

This is not currently planned. It might make it on my to do list for future releases, depending on demand.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:41 PM, PWaddict said:

@kongondo are you planning to add affiliate system?

No. This is not planned. It might be considered depending on demand, though.

On 1/10/2020 at 9:42 PM, J_Szwarga said:

Looking forward to when the good news comes! ??

As @Pete said earlier, if you need anyone to test it out, give us a shout.

Thanks!

On 1/13/2020 at 7:42 AM, alexmercenary said:

The anticipation is bubbling ?

?

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Nicolas said:

@kongondo regarding the payment process, have you planned the ability to pay a fraction of the total cost (make a deposit) and schedule future payment ?

Hmm. This is a tricky one as it is made up of two parts:

1. Paying a fraction (instalment) of the total cost
  2. Future payment (aka recurring payment)

Both are tricky, but especially #2. 

#1 is partly achievable by raising an invoice using manual order creation. The order will be manually marked as complete once the total has been paid. Automating the process may not be an easy task. I'd have to think about it more.

# 2 If this means storing user card details, then no; we are not going down that route. However, if it means using payment providers' subscription/recurring payments services, then it is probably doable. The payment providers API is there. Something else to think about, but for future versions.

Currently none of these features are in the plan, but I'll have a think. I will probably need reminding though :-).

• Like 2