Issues Repository: If A Reported Issue Effects You...

netcarver

...please could you add a comment to the issue confirming that you are also seeing it, and add any additional information that may help.

There are several issues that have the report and then some thumbs-up votes on them. This, however, is somewhat ambiguous, as I don't know if the thumbs-up is really saying "This effects me too" or just a "Well done for reporting this" or something else entirely.

In order for me to unambiguously tag an issue as impacting multiple users, I either need to reproduce it myself - or I need people to clearly state that they are impacted by it.

Whilst I can understand the use of thumbs-up emojis on the processwire-requests repo as a form of up-vote, I don't really think it works for the issues repository.

If you have any other suggestions that may work unambiguously in this case, please let me know.

Thank you for your consideration.
Steve

• Like 6

Happy to do this, so thanks for the heads-up.

Personally I've avoided commenting on existing issues unless I've actually got something valuable to add, mostly out of fear that a pile of "me too" comments would just make it harder to keep track of for Ryan or anyone else following the discussion. This is why the thumbs-up emoji seemed like a good alternative ?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, teppo said:

Happy to do this, so thanks for the heads-up.

Personally I've avoided commenting on existing issues unless I've actually got something valuable to add, mostly out of fear that a pile of "me too" comments would just make it harder to keep track of for Ryan or anyone else following the discussion. This is why the thumbs-up emoji seemed like a good alternative ?

1 hour ago, netcarver said:

Hi Teppo,

That's a good point. So, perhaps only helpful until the time where Ryan starts dealing with the issue himself. Once he's in the discussion, posting a "Me too" is just adding noise.

I put thumbs-up for requests that I feel have merit.  I don't think they provide any noise to these requests, but show that others are supportive of these recommended changes.  Some of these requests are about better usability, additional or consistent ways of using the PW infrastructure.  If I had additional information that adds to the discussion, then I would add a comment.  I personally don't think adding a thumbs-up detracts from Ryan working on these requests.

I'm really supportive of anyone who thoughtfully have put their time in to come up with innovative new ways to do things.  I'm also supportive of individuals who have found issues that potentially affects all of us.

• Like 2

@cstevensjr 

21 minutes ago, cstevensjr said:

I put thumbs-up for requests that I feel have merit

Hi Charles,

I'm really thinking of the issue repository in this thread. I, too, add a thumbs-up for feature requests that I feel have merit.

When it comes the the processwire-issues repository - whilst I agree that thumbs-up don't add noise - it does not unambiguously let either Ryan or myself know that anyone else is experiencing the reported issue.  If Ryan were to base his decisions to fix things based on the impact an issue is having on people, then using a thumbs-up may not help the issue get the attention it deserves, whereas clearly replying in the affirmative (possibly adding additional, relevant, information) will.

A bit OT, but related to Githubs notifications and issue repos in general.

Today I found a nice app, that shows all new GitHub Notifications in a nice way. All previously read comments in a thread are minimized.

I found it together with other tools here: https://dev.to/maestromac/tools-i-use-to-stay-on-top-of-githubs-notifications-56mo

Screenshot:

screen_notifications.githubapp_com.thumb.jpg.5b4bda71e6b368deaad29ce660d580e1.jpg

• Like 5