Managing group users by role

Guy Verville

Hi,

We were asked to be able to manage users by role. A company has 7 branches and would like to grant permissions to branch administrators to manage the creation of users only for their branch, thus not being able to see other users.

Although we can create user profiles, we would rather filter the user administration process as it exists. I wonder if anyone has ever created anything similar.

13 minutes ago, Guy Verville said:

I realize that the module Admin Restrict Branch interferes with the core logic. (sigh)

Glad I stumbled across this post - ARB should not get involved with displaying users - is there anything special I need to do to reproduce?

I made a simple case of creating a role with only the management of users as requested and it works. ARB is used with a role that must be restricted for the page tree. I do get, as shown, the user menu, but the pages themselves aren't shown. If I change the role name to something that doesn't match the branch involved, I get my users...

Maybe other restrictions are involved and coded by my programmer who is on vacation. I don't know. I will have to wait, I think.

Just now, Guy Verville said:

I made a simple case of creating a role with only the management of users as requested and it works. ARB is used with a role that must be restricted for the page tree. I do get, as shown, the user menu, but the pages themselves aren't shown. If I change the role name to something that doesn't match the branch involved, I get my users...

Thanks - I see the problem - it's to do with the way ARB blocks pages when viewed in Lister and because the Users page in PW uses Lister, it is causing the problem. I should have a fix shortly.

• Like 3

Just now, adrian said:

Thanks - I see the problem - it's to do with the way ARB blocks pages when viewed in Lister and because the Users page in PW uses Lister, it is causing the problem. I should have a fix shortly.

That's a good news! Thanks.

I have pushed a fix for this, but I have discovered that Ryan's recent changes to the admin live search functionality has broken restricting of search results. I am working on this now, but could be a bit painful.

• Like 3

Ok, I have been looking at the admin live search results and it seems that if the user doesn't have edit rights (either in general, or because of ARB), then the result link goes to view the page on the frontend, rather than edit in the backend. I think I find it a bit strange that the results don't have links to both when appropriate.

But anyway, I don't think there are actually any issues with ARB and the new PW admin search, but I wouldn't mind a few others to investigate to make sure I haven't missed anything.