The Cost of Javascript

FrancisChung

For some reason I never really thought about the fact that, with client-side rendering, you are basically sending your entire application over the wire. It's like having to install an app each time you visit a website. Makes me feel more confident in the componentized server-side approach I've been pursuing, which seems to achieve 90% of what the fully client-side approach aims to achieve, without the complexity and overhead. And it still leaves room for plugging in a more progressive framework like Vue for the cases when you need that extra 10% of interactivity.

• Like 1

I've read that one a few weeks ago and while I like the gist of it I find it horrible that the javascript community just seems to replace complexity with even more complexity. Also such blog posts always seem to be about the technical side of keeping js in check, while I feel the biggest gains can be archived by actually doing less in javascript. I'd like to see some practical advice on how to not blow through kb's of npm packages and still having a reasonable interactive website. Yesterday I tried out shopifys draggable library and even that one alone is like a third of the max. size of bundle mentioned in the article – just for drag and drop

• Like 4