supercarownerscircle.com

benbyf

Not new, but a website I've worked on for a year or so in continous development.

http://supercarownerscircle.com/

I originally inherited the site from another web design company - upgraded PW and over the year added ecommerce using the Stripe module and a custom integration, revamped the frontend and added lots of new templates.

Also did some frontend work on the shopify shop.

1062312384_Screenshot2018-04-3013_30_07.thumb.png.665c452db84c26696d3c691bbc3cb779.png

• Like 7

Yeah, true! Thats still in the pipeline. I'm hoping to pull data from shopify and show it on the homepage of the PW site, then link it through to the real shopify – but not yet started that work.

I've done some of that work for sure. I just looked in Chrome and got around 22mb and thats with video, so its not great but not quite that bad.

Though in checking I spotted some massive png's that should be jpg's that obviously the client must have uploaded so going to have to change that.

In case of images I would limit upload sizes as in height/width and MB.

In case of videos it depends on where they were used. As a movie I wouldn't care that much about size but I would load them only on demand. As a background video I would limit size.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, benbyf said:

what would you do?

Just a suggestion, as @wbmnfktr said, you should limit the size for the video on client editing. Then give them a note that they have to use **a video converter from a web service** prior to upload the video to the backend.

With https://clipchamp.com/en/products/utilities your video can be reduced from 72MB to 15MB with a really decent quality.

Settings are : 

Preset:  Web
Resolution:  720p
Format:  mp4
Quality:  Medium

You should give a try ✌️
ps: I am not affiliated with them but there are a free plan. Mods, feel free to remove the link..
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, wbmnfktr said:

In case of images I would limit upload sizes as in height/width and MB.

In case of images you can let them upload what they want, but ensure that it is in highest possible quality. For the output you define width x height, quality and even output format (jpeg), if they use png were not appropriate. ?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, horst said:

In case of images you can let them upload what they want

I would agree with that to a certain point. Imagine your client uploads a few hundred images with 12 MB+ each.

If they explicitly ask for the possibility to upload super high-res images it's another story. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wbmnfktr said:

I would agree with that to a certain point. Imagine your client uploads a few hundred images with 12 MB+ each.

??? If they want to, - why not? Sure, I would tell them not to use such big images where not necessary. But if they don't care, it is not my time waiting during the boring long uploads. ?

And if they are not able to scale down the images before uploading, it seems better to me to let them upload the hires instead of something scrumbled because they don't know what they do.

16 hours ago, horst said:

In case of images you can let them upload what they want, but ensure that it is in highest possible quality. For the output you define width x height, quality and even output format (jpeg), if they use png were not appropriate. ?

thanks @horst didnt know you could convert the type as well as size.

17 hours ago, flydev said:

Just a suggestion, as @wbmnfktr said, you should limit the size for the video on client editing. Then give them a note that they have to use **a video converter from a web service** prior to upload the video to the backend.

With https://clipchamp.com/en/products/utilities your video can be reduced from 72MB to 15MB with a really decent quality.

Settings are : 

Preset:  Web
Resolution:  720p
Format:  mp4
Quality:  Medium

You should give a try ✌️
ps: I am not affiliated with them but there are a free plan. Mods, feel free to remove the link..

looks good, but I dont really want to sign up for a monthly fee to get the watermark off for a single video ?

I have ff Works too and often use it to covert video files. While I like its GUI and  ffmpeg too, the fact that ff Work's GUI is not mac OS native makes it a bit cumbersome to use in some cases but for the price/features ratio I have not found a better alternative.

• Like 1