Field access toggles

a-ok

I'm guessing this does what I think it does? I ran into a problem where I needed to hide a field to a certain user role (and needed to remove it from 'guest') it then disappeared from the front end. I'm guessing this little toggle allows it still to work on the front end but hide it from the backend? If so this is a GOD SEND of a feature.

Screen Shot 2018-07-31 at 22.38.21.png

I agree that the description is a bit ambiguous, I've been also wondering how to properly interpret it but I came to a similar conclusion, ie. this option  is for "front-end API calls only" meaning where output formatting is ON by default:

Quote: "pages on the front-end of your site always have output formatting on, unless you've turned it off, with $page->of(false)."

Output formatting is always off in a module by default, and the explanation in your screenshot has examples with $page and not $this->page. Also, it is talking about front-end API access checks only. As a result, if it does not affect backend (ie. admin) access checks, then you can use this option for what you are describing, At least I use it that way too ? 

However, maybe others can put together a better explanation than this one of mine ? 

• Like 1