main.inc my code is GONE

Marcel

Hey, 

in all of a sudden processwire crashed during coding. After I restarted my editing tool the main.inc code was empty! I am working on a virtualbox. I drag and dropped the main.inc into my editing tool and I tryed it with other tools. But the code is just gone. The files foot.inc, home.php, nav-page.inc (not used but there) and old_main.inc are there. Only the main.inc is empty. I am so frustrated. Has anyone have this kind of issue? I am so shocked! And the css file ist gone.... I am freaking out...

In the backend the pages are still there and they are displayed rudimentarilly

Thanks in advance.

Hey there,

All in all this sounds like a editor issue, not a ProcessWire issue per se – i.e. for some reason your code editor crashed and emptied the main.inc file, and perhaps deleted / emptied other files as well. Do you have any backups of the site files?

It's a bit late to say this, but you should make regular backups of your work. Using a version control system like Git or SVN is preferable, but manual or automatic backups will do as well.

If you're using ProcessWire 3.0+ you could take a look at /site/assets/cache/FileCompiler/ – if you're really lucky, you might have a compiled version of your main.inc in there. Although since you're having issues with the site, this seems unlikely.

Sorry for not being able to help more here. The thing is that sometimes editors and such mess up, and the best protection you can employ is a version control system, or at least those regular backups. Hope you get this sorted out!

• Like 5