Has anyone here used AMPPS?

FrancisChung

@pwired, thanks for trying out Ampps and reporting back.
At this stage, the small performance hit might be worth it if it saves me hours messing with configuration.

I also had a look at XAMPP but that looks like it's tightly integrated with Bitnami now. (Any opinions on Bitnami?)

I had to install Docker (for ubuntu) for a different project, so I might see if I can replace Ampps with Docker instead.

At this stage, the small performance hit might be worth it if it saves me hours messing with configuration.

Laragon is super easy to configure for your needs. Also setting up virtual hosts is very easy. It installes in C:\laragon and works like a portable program.

laragon.gif.3e53ece31a6714104914f3d1dac1cf7e.gif

I would't go for Ampps. It installs in your Windows Programs folder and eats away 600 Mb. The Ampss interface looks the same like a CPanel from your Hoster.

Ampss might be handy though if you want to try out all kinds of packages. It even has a pw install package.

ampps.thumb.png.480e90e716d26f1dfda357d5a639336c.png

On 7/29/2018 at 9:56 PM, fbg13 said:

This is awesome. Thanks!

On 7/30/2018 at 3:53 AM, pwired said:

would't go for Ampps. It installs in your Windows Programs folder and eats away 600 Mb. The Ampss interface looks the same like a CPanel from your Hoster.

Ampss might be handy though if you want to try out all kinds of packages. It even has a pw install package.

I do have a Win10 partition, but don't intend to use it for Web Development unless using ASP.NET stack. 
AMPSS sounds interesting  especially for beginners if it has a PW Install package. 

Thanks for looking into it so far.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, pwired said:

Did you check the video on how to install ampps on ubuntu ?

I just did, but I can tell you that is not what actually happens if you try and install it.
There's all sorts of installation issues, and even if you work through them, the app doesn't launch because there's an issue with the underlying Graphics library it is using.

Laragon looks really cool. Alas, it is only for Windows and I refuse to do Website work on Windows unless it's ASP.NET specific work.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pwired said:

Get your self a win7 sp1 partition. It's real stable and safe

It's more to do with paths & limitations with path length etc in Windows.
They allegedly have fixed it, but I don't trust the fix because I can still see it happening on my local machine despite applying all sorts of fixes for it.

I agree Windows 7 being stable.

Unfortuantely, you can only run it on older hardware.  No chance if you have equipment of recent specs. I couldn't even install Windows 8 on my laptop.

Unfortuantely, you can only run it on older hardware.  No chance if you have equipment of recent specs.

There are only 4 problems with that:

1. missing legacy option in uefi bios
2. missing usb3 drivers during win7 installation
3. win7 refuses to install on a GTP partition
4. missing win7 hardware drivers for your laptop

I have solved all 4 of them with finding the right tools.

Windows 7 is in its extended support period, and is officially supported
by Microsoft with security updates until 2020.

But hey welcome to MicroSoft, they simply changed their policy at the beginning of 2016
and now new CPUs will require the latest version of Windows.

1652661091_unsupportedhardware.png.94d699368d68b0e81ea0b9199b80f5c0.png

Microsoft is just blocking PCs with latest CPUs from updating via Windows Update.
You still can install Windows 7

But in such case it would be a solution to use VMWare Player which is very good.

Install a VMWare workstation trial and install windows 7 in it,
export the image and uninstall the trial. Then install the free
VMWare Player and import the image.

I finally got devilbox working. Turns out, RTFM actually worked against me in this instance.

Most of the errors I was getting was permission related, so had to run it with sudo. And had to do extra configuration that they don't tell you about up front.

Linux. As I stated previously, I refuse to do web development on Windows (unless it's ASP.NET) ? 

It was mainly using sudo to launch the application. The documentation doesn't state that you had to use it, and this is where i was thrown off for most of the time.
Other than that,  you just had to add an entry in /etc/hosts file to map an address to your local instance. 

14 minutes ago, FrancisChung said:

It was mainly using sudo to launch the application. The documentation doesn't state that you had to use it

Do you mean docker compose up|down commands? It works without sudo for  me.