How to hook a multi-language title field on page creation (Pages::setupNew)

masslevel

Hello!

I apologize in advance if I missed something on the forums. I'm not yet that experienced with hooks and already tried a lot. Maybe someone else has an idea or could give me a hint in the right direction.

• In my ready.php file I'm creating a random generated URL slug on Pages::setupNew for a specific template.
  • When creating a page and I type in the default language title and leave the other languages blank, the slug gets appended to the page names because the pages have the same url/slug/title but in different trees ( ex. /myarticle-myslug/ and /en/myarticle-myslug/ )
  • When creating a page and I enter a title for each language, the slug gets only applied to the default language and I get an error that the name for the default language already exists and it was changed to /myarticle-myslug/. The other language gets the page name /en/my-article/ applied.
  • Additionally I noticed that the settings from Module -> Page Name (InputfieldPageName) are not applied when creating the page name using the code below. So non-ascii characters get stripped instead of sanitized

Here is a simplified code snippet that I have in the ready.php file:

wire()->addHookBefore('Pages::setupNew', function($event) {
    $page = $event->arguments('page');
    if ($page->template->name == 'news-article') {
        $page->name = $page->title . '-myslug';
    }
});

I've read this topic and if this still applies, LanguageSupportPageNames isn't used on Pages::setupNew.  Especially the post by @Soma looks interesting but I'm not sure how to apply it.

Thank you very much in advance.

I was wondering if it would be better to change the name of the page after publishing ...

wire()->addHookBefore('Pages::publishReady', function($event) {
    }
});

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rafaoski said:

I was wondering if it would be better to change the name of the page after publishing ...

wire()->addHookBefore('Pages::publishReady', function($event) {
    }
});

Thanks for your reply and input, @rafaoski. That would be fine too, BUT I sadly encounter the following issues:

• '-myslug' in my simplified example is actually a random hash generator. If I unpublish the page and republish it, another string is attached to the already existing one (ex. my-article-my-slug-my-slug after the second publish.
  • even when using the Pages::publishReady hook, the slug is only appended to the default language page name/url and not to other languages.
  • Like 1

The following hook should do what you want. It's based on old @Soma's post. All you have to is to edit $myslug with your random hash generator.

$wire->addHookBefore("Pages::saveReady", function(HookEvent $event) {

$page = $event->arguments[0];
  if ($page->template->name != 'news-article') return;

foreach ($this->languages as $lang) {

$lname = $lang->isDefault() ? '' : $lang->id;
    $default = $this->languages->get("default");
    $myslug = '-myslug';

if ($page->title->getLanguageValue($lang)) {
      $page->set("name$lname", $page->title->getLanguageValue($lang) . $myslug);
    } else {
      $page->set("name$lname", $page->title->getLanguageValue($default) . $myslug);
    }
  }

});

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PWaddict said:

The following hook should do what you want. It's based on old @Soma's post. All you have to is to edit $myslug with your random hash generator.

$wire->addHookBefore("Pages::saveReady", function(HookEvent $event) {

$page = $event->arguments[0];
  if ($page->template->name != 'news-article') return;

foreach ($this->languages as $lang) {

$lname = $lang->isDefault() ? '' : $lang->id;
    $default = $this->languages->get("default");
    $myslug = '-myslug';

if ($page->title->getLanguageValue($lang)) {
      $page->set("name$lname", $page->title->getLanguageValue($lang) . $myslug);
    } else {
      $page->set("name$lname", $page->title->getLanguageValue($default) . $myslug);
    }
  }

});

Thanks so much, @PWaddict. Now the slug gets applied also to other languages. Awesome! Many steps closer. What is still happening is:

• When I publish the page or save it, the page name/url gets a new slug everytime.
    How can I restrict this so that a new page name gets only generated once? When the URL should be changed afterwards, it should only be possible manually or for example when the page name field is cleared.

The problem is when an editor decides to unpublish/publish or just does a simple resave of the page, it will have a new URL.

• When I create a new article page in the Add New screen and press save, I get redirected to the page edit screen, which is correct but it shows an red error notice on top:
    Session: Warning, the name you selected "my-new-article" was already in use and has been changed to "my-new-article-myslughash". 

Your snippet is very close. Thank you for that.

I will try to make some changes to it - not really sure how exactly ? but trial and error I guess. Maybe changing Pages::saveReady to something different so the page->name gets only generated once? Don't know yet what to do about the warning.

2 hours ago, masslevel said:

Maybe changing Pages::saveReady to something different so the page->name gets only generated once?

Try hooking after Pages::added, but you'll need to add a line to save $page within your hook when hooking that method.

2 hours ago, masslevel said:

When I create a new article page in the Add New screen and press save, I get redirected to the page edit screen, which is correct but it shows an red error notice on top:
Session: Warning, the name you selected "my-new-article" was already in use and has been changed to "my-new-article-myslughash". 

There's an open issue about that problem: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/648

• Like 4

On 7/27/2018 at 5:22 AM, Robin S said:

Try hooking after Pages::added, but you'll need to add a line to save $page within your hook when hooking that method.

There's an open issue about that problem: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/648

Thanks for the suggestion, @Robin S. I will take a look and see what I can figure out.