Redactor WYSIWYG Editor

renobird

I got a response from the Redactor people. The response was:

Generally, if Redactor is properly "linked" within the product and there's no easy way to get it out of there — we allow GNU distribution as well as integration.

That's basically what I thought. They say they "allow" it, but the problem is the GNU license doesn't. He didn't say anything to indicate an understanding of the GNU license. The liability falls on to the developer that's integrating with GNU software. I'm continuing the email conversation with more questions to get more clarification. But so far it seems to me like we'd have to build this as a commercial module in order to keep control over the distribution. That's fine, but would just mean that TinyMCE would have to continue as the default wysiwyg editor in ProcessWire, with an option to replace it with a commercial module.

• Like 1

They say they "allow" it, but the problem is the GNU license doesn't

That's a shame, it would be great if there was no equivocation or doubt and it fitted perfectly with the GNU license. But keeping whiter-than-white with the GNU license must I imagine be a top priority for you Ryan, quite understandably.

Probably not an ideal scenario, but that would work for me.

No not ideal :/ My preference would be to pay a stake now in order to have it part of free-of-charge-PW in the future (although that's looking unlikely based on Ryan's findings so far—thanks for checking into this Ryan).

But keeping whiter-than-white with the GNU license must I imagine be a top priority for you Ryan, quite understandably.

I've asked again if they can produce any examples of open source projects that are integrated and distributed with Redactor. So if we can follow some other project's lead, then that's cool with me. But so far it doesn't seem like any freely distributed open source project actually uses Redactor. I'm hoping they'll reply with an example or two though (they must be out there).

One possibility is that we could use an older version, which is CC-noncommercial licensed. Can't exactly distribute it with ProcessWire itself, but could distribute as a free module:

https://github.com/dybskiy/redactor-js

I've asked again if they can produce any examples of open source projects that are integrated and distributed with Redactor.

Nice.

One possibility is that we could use an older version

Good find, but right now my preference would be the commercial/latest version as a chargeable Module rather than an earlier version for free.

I'm hoping they'll reply with an example or two though (they must be out there).

I hail your optimism Ryan :) Here's hoping!

Candy CMS is using and distributed with Redactor, they use a GPLv2 licence (not that I understand that stuff very well).

Oo? Good find adamspruijt. From a glance those two look identical. That sounds good. However at the risk of being pessimistic one question springs to mind; how much due-diligence did the folks at Candy do to check they were OK to use Redactor in this way? No disrespect intended to Candy, I know absolutely nothing about them or the level of their due diligence in this matter and although this question is perhaps obvious I thought I'd just note it for completeness.

But it IS good news that the two licenses look, to me, identical (from a 90 second scan).

• Like 1

It seems to me that in Candy CMS there's very easy way to get it out. /core/plugins/redactor and Candy CMS has GPLv2 license.

Good find jukooz, but oh dear... :( At the risk of quoting myself and looking like a twat less professional:

how much due-diligence did the folks at Candy do to check they were OK to use Redactor in this way?

Totally agree alanfluff, I was thinking the same thing, I know some people don't really dig deep in to licences when building these types of projects. I respect Ryan's commitment to doing this properly. If the Redactor module needs to be distributed separate I see no problem with that, but it would be lovely to have it be the default.

I respect Ryan's commitment to doing this properly. If the Redactor module needs to be distributed separate I see no problem with that, but it would be lovely to have it be the default.

Aside from the technical qualities, the two things that makes me most excited about PW are Ryan's approach and the community here; it's a winning formula!

Here's the reply I got from the Redactor folks:

Here's one: http://candycms.org

Is there a way to add Redactor as a commercial add-on? We cannot publish it under GNU because it is copyright-protected and commercial product. However, you may include it in your product preserving our license: in case of OEM we consider you as the Developer, who develop not only for end-users but for other developers too, providing them with Redactor (still, code belong to us) without need of purchasing their own license.

Sounds like they are aware of Candy CMS (which I'm guessing is using the older version). Either way, it sounds like they are recommending we build the Redactor module as a commercial add-on.

• Like 2

it sounds like they are recommending we build the Redactor module as a commercial add-on.

It does sound that way. If I were clever enough I'd love to do this (I'd need to do the Steve Martin 'Man With Two Brains' trick to pull that off), but in the absence of my Frankensteinian upgrade, I would almost certainly buy the Module to try it and if it was clearly the way to go compared to TinyMCE et al and it was affordable, I would use it as my default way-to-go for each install I did (and buy a copy per domain, if affordable and if sold that way).

Thanks Tom for the original post and thanks Ryan for checking into this and thanks all who have contributed. If a Module is to be made, I wonder who will do it; you Ryan?

I'm definitely willing to build it unless anyone else has been interested in this. I need to spend a little more time playing with Redactor as I'm still not totally clear about what advantages it has over TinyMCE (other than being smaller). Though the API for it looks quite nice, but that's an advantage to the guy coding the module, not necessarily the end user.

• Like 3

I'm embarrassed to say I just did the "Oo, it looks pretty" and from that point on I was all dewey eyed about it and just wanted it; not a great basis for building a Module ;))

But I am sure Tom had good reason for the initial post suggesting this and @adamspruijt seems impressed, so I'm sure there will be some real benefits (I just don't know what they are :-[ ).

Have you seen this line from the License at http://imperavi.com/redactor/license/

The OEM License is limited to one year from the date of purchase.

Looks like a real showstopper ...

It seems like this license is introduced for the current version 8.1.0. The older version 8.0.3 is available as a free download from http://imperavi.com/...edactor/getold/ but has no license included and links to the same license page quoted above.

Unfortunately the wayback machine knows nothing about imperavi.com :( and so I was not able to find out about the changes introduced on October 10, 2012.

Candycms uses the older version not the current 8.1.0, but also not the one under CC BY-NC 3.0.

(some of this thoughts can be found in this thread, too: Redactor - WYSIWYG editor on jQuery)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...