Can't reach admin page

jochemke

Hey all,

I have installed processwire on 2 of my domains which are hosted by different hosting company's but both of them fail to give me the admin page. During the installation i haven't had any errors, so i have absolutely no idea why i can't reach it then?

I hope someone here can help me?

Also, curious if any other pages on your site load, or do you just get the homepage? If you can only get the homepage (which is what I suspect) this points to .htaccess being disabled or mod_rewrite not being installed. The first thing to do is to load the /.htaccess file and edit it, inserting some garbage at the top like "aljkealkjfaljkfa". Save and try to view your homepage. If you still get your homepage (as opposed to a 500 error message) then your server is not reading the .htaccess file. Your sysadmin may need to add "AllowOverride All" to your domain's configuration in httpd.conf.

• Like 3

Also, curious if any other pages on your site load, or do you just get the homepage? If you can only get the homepage (which is what I suspect) this points to .htaccess being disabled or mod_rewrite not being installed. The first thing to do is to load the /.htaccess file and edit it, inserting some garbage at the top like "aljkealkjfaljkfa". Save and try to view your homepage. If you still get your homepage (as opposed to a 500 error message) then your server is not reading the .htaccess file. Your sysadmin may need to add "AllowOverride All" to your domain's configuration in httpd.conf.

I'll check this out.

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this as have run into an issue with my PW site on a client's Godaddy setup. Only Homepage is visible, the rest go to 404.

If I put gobbledegook at the top of the htaccess file, the homepage still loads so probably not getting seen by godaddy.

Am having a hard time figuring out how to change what Ryan said within Godaddy, has anyone had any prior experience of this?

Cheers!

If I put gobbledegook at the top of the htaccess file, the homepage still loads so probably not getting seen by godaddy.

This points to the problem. Apache is not even reading your htaccess, so it doesn't matter what you put it in, it will get ignored. GoDaddy is big enough of a company that I'm sure they have provisions for enabling it, as very few CMSs would function optimally without it. But it's a little surprising it wouldn't be enabled by default. Double check that the file is in the right place (the same dir as PW's index.php) and that it is named ".htaccess" (with the dot in front) and that the file is globally readable. If it's still not working, this is something you probably need to contact GoDaddy about as I think only they would know how to enable it in their system. I have used GoDaddy's hosting via a client's account, and all worked without issue (.htaccess enabled, etc.), so I'm also wondering if you might be on some other kind of (non unix) account.

• 1 year later...

Just throwing this in this forum in case anyone is getting 500 errors on GoDaddy with Linux hosting package.

As of 12/9/2013, I was getting a 500 error on every page with the default .htaccess. I went through line by line and found that commenting out the HTTP_MOD_REWRITE variable fixed the problem:

#SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On

I don't know the real cause of the problem, but after four+ hours of trying different solutions, this is what worked for me. My full htaccess file now looks like this (stripped out comments for brevity):

Options -Indexes
Options -Multiviews
Options +FollowSymLinks

ErrorDocument 404 /index.php

<Files favicon.ico>
  ErrorDocument 404 "The requested file favicon.ico was not found.
</Files>

<Files robots.txt>
  ErrorDocument 404 "The requested file robots.txt was not found.
</Files>

<FilesMatch "\.(inc|info|module|sh|sql)$|^(\..*)$">
  Order allow,deny
</FilesMatch>

<IfModule mod_php5.c>
  php_flag magic_quotes_gpc        off
  php_flag magic_quotes_sybase        off
  php_flag register_globals        off
</IfModule>

DirectoryIndex index.php index.html index.htm

<IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
  RewriteEngine On
  AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
  #SetEnv HTTP_MOD_REWRITE On
  RewriteBase /dev/
  RewriteRule "(^|/)\." - [F]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)\.htaccess$ [NC,OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/assets/(cache|logs|backups|sessions|config|install|tmp)($|/.*$) [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/install($|/.*$) [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/assets.*/-.+/.* [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(wire|site|site-[^/]+)/(config|index\.config|config-dev)\.php$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(wire|site|site-[^/]+)/templates-admin($|/|/.*\.(php|html?|tpl|inc))$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/templates($|/|/.*\.(php|html?|tpl|inc))$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/assets($|/|/.*\.php)$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)wire/(core|modules)/.*\.(php|inc|tpl|module)$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(site|site-[^/]+)/modules/.*\.(php|inc|tpl|module)$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)(COPYRIGHT|INSTALL|README|htaccess)\.(txt|md)$ [OR]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} (^|/)site-default/
  RewriteRule ^.*$ - [F,L]
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} "^/~?[-_.a-zA-Z0-9/]*$"
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
  RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !(favicon\.ico|robots\.txt)
  RewriteRule ^(.*)$ index.php?it=$1 [L,QSA]
</IfModule>

• Like 1

Apparently that line is needed only during the install, so there's no problem to remove it. Thanks for the info, and welcome to the forum :)

Edit:

This is related http://processwire.com/talk/topic/4807-fixes-for-pw-installation-on-a-shared-server/

And apparently the alternatives to SetEnv are not really an option for this purpose http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18289196/htaccess-environmental-variable-alternative-with-php

• Like 1