InputfieldPageName phonetic support to create slugs

Sten

Hello,

I still did not solve my problem about Hebrew letters. In fact, it is ok for Russian for example to have a transliteration of characters (one to one) but in languages like Hebrew, Arabic, it is better to slugify with phonetic like here :

use EasySlugger\Utf8Slugger;

$slug = Utf8Slugger::slugify('日本語');  // slug = ri-ben-yu
$slug = Utf8Slugger::slugify('العَرَبِيةُ‎‎');    // slug = alrbyt
$slug = Utf8Slugger::slugify('עברית');  // slug = bryt

So I am planning to insert https://github.com/javiereguiluz/EasySlugger

Should I create a module or just add a hook ?

I am a PW newbie.

Thanks for your help

• Like 3

On 7/1/2018 at 9:14 PM, Sten said:

Should I create a module or just add a hook ?

I think you should create a module and share it in the modules directory. ?
It sounds like it would be very useful for a number of different languages.

If you only want to set the page name once when the page is first created you would hook after Pages::added() and pass the page title to Utf8Slugger::slugify() to get a name. Or if you want the page name to update whenever the title changes you would hook after Pages::saveReady(). For more advanced usages relating to the latter you might like to take a look at the code in @adrian's Page Rename Options module.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,
I began by creating a simple module to slugify the page name.

<?php
include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/vendor/javiereguiluz/easyslugger/src/SluggerInterface.php";
include $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT']."/vendor/javiereguiluz/easyslugger/src/Utf8Slugger.php";
use EasySlugger\Utf8Slugger;
class SlugifyExplicit extends WireData implements Module {
public function init() {
    $this->addHookAfter("Pages::added", $this, "slugifyExplicit");
}
public function ___slugifyExplicit($event) {
$pages = $event->object;
$page = $event->arguments(0);
$page->name= Utf8Slugger::slugify($page->title);
$event->return = $page;
}
}

The name is OK but is is not saved in database. Someone has an idea ?

@Sten, your module looks like it is missing the required getModuleInfo() method. Check the Module docs for what is required in a module. The Hello World module is a good one to learn from too. And Tracy Debugger is a must-have for debugging modules or anything else (the Tracy bd() method is all you need to learn to begin with).

Also, when you want to make changes to a Page in a Pages::added hook you need to do a $page->save() in order to save the changes.

Not wanting to hijack your module or anything but when you first posted this topic I was interested in EasySlugger and put together a simple module to test it out. I've added a couple of comments to the code that might help you.

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

class Slugger extends WireData implements Module {

/**
     * Module information
     */
    public static function getModuleInfo() {
        return array(
            'title' => 'Slugger',
            'version' => '0.1.0',
            'autoload' => true,
        );
    }

/**
     * Ready
     */
    public function ready() {
        // You would generate the slug/name after saveReady or added, but not both
        $this->addHookAfter('Pages::added', $this, 'afterAdded');
        // $this->addHookAfter('Pages::saveReady', $this, 'afterSaveReady');
    }

/**
     * After Pages::added
     * Set the page name using EasySlugger only once when the page is first added
     * @param HookEvent $event
     */
    protected function afterAdded(HookEvent $event) {
        require_once __DIR__ . '/EasySlugger/SluggerInterface.php';
        require_once __DIR__ . '/EasySlugger/Utf8Slugger.php';
        $page->of(false);
        $page->name = \EasySlugger\Utf8Slugger::slugify($page->title);
        $page->save();
    }

/**
     * After Pages::saveReady
     * Set the page name using EasySlugger every time the page is saved, in case the Title was changed
     * You could add a condition to set the name only if the Title changed if you like
     * @param HookEvent $event
     */
    protected function afterSaveReady(HookEvent $event) {
        require_once __DIR__ . '/EasySlugger/SluggerInterface.php';
        require_once __DIR__ . '/EasySlugger/Utf8Slugger.php';
        $page->name = \EasySlugger\Utf8Slugger::slugify($page->title);
    }

}

Slugger.zip

Note that there is a minor core issue with warning notices from ProcessPageAdd that will hopefully be fixed soon: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-issues/issues/648

• Like 3

@Robin S thank you, I tested your module, it works very well with Hebrew. I only put the Javier Reguiluz' app inside the vendor directory to be able to update it with composer. I'll test it more and tell you.

Note that there is a minor core issue with warning notices from ProcessPageAdd that will hopefully be fixed soon

Yes I saw it too.

I am grateful for your work.

• Like 1

@Sten, I was thinking that it would be good to have some configurable options in the module to determine when a page's name is set via EasySlugger. That is what the Page Rename Options module provides, so to avoid recreating all of that I've asked in the support thread if @adrian would consider adding a hookable method to his module.

I think it might be better to bundle EasySlugger in with your module because it will have a wider audience that way - a lot of people are on shared hosting that doesn't include Composer. You could use Composer locally to pull in EasySlugger updates (it actually hasn't received any updates in the last 3 years) and then push them out to your module repo.

@Robin S

if @adrian would consider

Yes good idea.

I think it might be better to bundle EasySlugger in with your module

OK I understand why it is better haver easySlugger inside the module. Besides I have written to Javier Eguiluz to inform him about our work.

Edited by Sten

I don't know much about this, but what about doing it via JS instead of PHP so that it works more seamlessly with PW's approach which is to slugify in realtime with JS. It would also mean automatic integration with the PageRenameOptions module.

Here is some stuff on doing this with JS: https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/255/creating-url-slugs-properly-in-javascript-including-transliteration-for-utf-8

On a side note - I guess this doesn't work for your needs, but don't forget that you can change the character replacements by editing the settings for the core InputfieldPageName module.

17 hours ago, Sten said:

Yes good idea.

It's actually not as practical an idea as I first thought because PageRenameOptions mostly works via Javascript, as @adrian explained in the support thread. But for the purposes of your module you probably don't need all the config options that PageRenameOptions provides. The "initial differences protected" option would be the main one and I think it will be possible to achieve that in PHP with the API. I'll give it a try and post something later.

42 minutes ago, adrian said:

I don't know much about this, but what about doing it via JS instead of PHP so that it works more seamlessly with PW's approach which is to slugify in realtime with JS.

I see this the other way around - I think it would actually be better if PW moved to a PHP/API implementation for setting the page name. It's a bit of a problem IMO that there is no API method that provides identical naming to the JS naming in ProcessPageAdd. And I don't think the approach of requiring users of languages other than English to enter potentially thousands of character transliterations into the InputfieldPageName config is ideal.

Although I don't work on non-English sites myself I think it would be good to have something like EasySlugger in the PW core, with the InputfieldPageName config only used for custom overrides. So the user only enters a title in the first step of Page Add and the page name is derived from the title in PHP. The user can easily change to a custom page name after that if need be, so it's not much of a sacrifice in return for a more consistent naming system that requires less configuration.

• Thanks 1