[deprecated] RockGrid - powerful, performant and beautiful data listing tool

bernhard

DEPRECATED

If you are interested in the new version (commercial module launching in 2023) write me a PM

---

Some of you might have followed the development of this module here: https://processwire.com/talk/topic/15524-previewdiscussion-rockdatatables/ . It is the successor of "RockDataTables" and requires RockFinder to get the data for the grid easily and efficiently. It uses the open source part of agGrid for grid rendering.

WHY?

ProcessWire is awesome for creating all kinds of custom backend applications, but where it is not so awesome in my opinion is when it comes to listing this data. Of course we have the built in page lister and we have ListerPro, but none of that solutions is capable of properly displaying large amounts of data, for example lists of revenues, aggregations, quick and easy sorts by the user, instant filter and those kind of features. RockGrid to the rescue ? 

Features/Highlights:

• 100k+ rows
  • Instant (client side) filter, search, sort (different sort based on data type, eg "lower/greater than" for numbers, "contains" for strings)
  • extendable via plugins (available plugins at the moment: fullscreen, csv export, reload, batch-processing of data, column sum/statistics, row selection)
  • all the agGrid features (cell renderers, cell styling, pagination, column grouping etc)
  • vanilla javascript, backend and frontend support (though not all plugins are working on the frontend yet and I don't plan to support it as long as I don't need it myself)

Limitations:

While there is an option to retrieve data via AJAX the actual processing of the grid (displaying, filtering, sorting) is done on the client side, meaning that you can get into troubles when handling really large datasets of several thousands of rows. agGrid should be one of the most performant grid options in the world (see the official example page with a 100k row example) and does a lot to prevent problems (such as virtual row rendering), but you should always have this limitation in mind as this is a major difference to the available lister options that do not have this limitation.

Currently it only supports AdminThemeUikit and I don't plan to support any other admin theme.

Downloadhttps://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeRockGrid

Installationhttps://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockGrid/wikis/Installation

Quikckstarthttps://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockGrid/wikis/quickstart

Further instructionshttps://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockGrid/wikis/quickstart#further-instructions

German Translation Filesite--modules--fieldtyperockgrid--fieldtyperockgrid-module-php.json

Changelog: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeRockGrid/raw/master/changelog.md

Module status: alpha, License: MIT

Note that every installation and uninstallation sends an anonymous google analytics event to my google analytics account. If you don't want that feel free to remove the appropriate lines of code before installation/uninstallation.

Contribute:

You can contribute to the development of this and other modules or just say thank you by

Support: Please note that this module might not be as easy and plug&play as many other modules. It needs a good understanding of agGrid (and JavaScript in general) and it likely needs some looks into the code to get all the options. Please understand that I can not provide free support for every request here in the forum. I try to answer all questions that might also help others or that might improve the module but for individual requests I offer paid support (please contact me via PM).

Use Cases / Examples:

Colored grid cells, Icons, Links etc. The Grid also has a "batcher" feature built in that helps communicating with the server via AJAX and managing resource intensive tasks in batches:

reports.gif

Filters, PW panel links and instant reload on panel close:

groups.gif

You can combine the grid with a chart library like I did with the (outdated) RockDataTables module:

filter.gif

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Bernhard for finally releasing this module. I can not wait to play with it and share improvements, if I have any.

I really can think of many use cases where this grid would be mandatory because it offers so much possibilities.

• Like 1

I installed the module and RockFinder, but when calling "Rock Finder Tester" the SQL query works, but no grid is displayed.

There is a JavaScript error in the console which looks like this:

(index):205 Uncaught ReferenceError: RockGrid is not defined
    at initGrid_ProcessRockFinderResult ((index):205)
    at (index):216

42 minutes ago, jmartsch said:

The problem was, that I did not rename the downloaded folder from Gitlab from "RockGrid-master" to "RockGrid". After doing this, it works

Installing the zip (either from URL or Upload), rather than manually unzipping takes care of this stuff for you ?

• Like 3

Why I'm always the one who still have the error.? I did install via upload of zip and I have /modules/RockGrid.

However, I still have errors:

image.thumb.png.1a690cdab44cc61ff9422825ef509b5a.png

1)The path is wrong for js, it should be : localhost/24h/site/assets/RockGrid/fields/test_grid.js

2)error mentioned earlier

Also, not related, but playing with the Tester, I wrote some wrong code which gave me a red error page. The problem is that I didn't know how to reset. (finally I reinstalled since of error above).

Thanks!

Hi mel,

thanks for testing and reporting those issues ? 

can you please provide a reproducable step-by-step guide what you did so I can look into that?

9 hours ago, mel47 said:

Also, not related, but playing with the Tester, I wrote some wrong code which gave me a red error page. The problem is that I didn't know how to reset. (finally I reinstalled since of error above).

Thanks, I'm aware of that and it's definitely not nice to have this. I thought I've already fixed that ? If it happens again please just delete the /site/assets/RockFinder/tester.txt file than it will create a new one. Or just edit it in your IDE and fix the problem.

Hope that helps?

Hi

Sorry for the delay, was too sunny to stay inside... ?

So to recap. I tried on 2 installations (one with my current site and one empty, ie no module). Both are local, running php 7.0. I'm using firefox.

1. Install rockfinder via module repository
  2. install rockgrid by url (https://gitlab.com/baumrock/RockGrid/-/archive/master/RockGrid-master.zip)
  3. create a "projects" rock-grid field and add it to home template
  4. Go to home template; see an empty white field with this error:
     ReferenceError: RockGrid is not defined[En savoir plus] edit:118:7
    initGrid_projects http://localhost/wire/processwire/page/edit/:118:7
    <anonyme> http://localhost/wire/processwire/page/edit/:129:7

5. Add to /site/assets/RockGrid/fields/projects.js and project.php (copied from usage instructions. Now see this error
    Échec du chargement pour l’élément <script> dont la source est « http://localhost/site/assets/RockGrid/fields/projects.js ». edit:61 

as mentioned earlier it's not the good address, it missing the domain, in this case : http://localhost/wire/site/assets/RockGrid/fields/projects.

Hope it helps.

Mel
PS No error during module installation. Debug info display under the field seems ok (default mysql query):

0.4ms getSQL SELECT `rockfinder`.* FROM /* original pw query */ (SELECT pages.id FROM `pages` WHERE (pages.status<1024) GROUP BY pages.id ORDER BY pages.created DESC ) as `pwfinder` LEFT JOIN ( /* rockfinder */ SELECT `pages`.`id` AS `id`, `title`.`title` AS `title`, `created`.`created` AS `created` FROM `pages` /* --- join title --- */ LEFT JOIN (SELECT `pages_id` AS `pageid`, `title`.`data` AS `title` FROM `field_title` AS `title`) AS `title` ON `title`.`pageid` = `pages`.`id` /* --- end title --- */ /* --- join created --- */ LEFT JOIN (SELECT `id` AS `pageid`, `created` FROM `pages` AS `created`) AS `created` ON `created`.`pageid` = `pages`.`id` /* --- end created --- */ /* end rockfinder */ ) AS `rockfinder` ON `pwfinder`.`id` = `rockfinder`.`id`
0ms executeClosures  
1.2ms getObjects Includes executeClosures
1.3ms Overall Inputfield Render  

Same result, juste a name change.

ReferenceError: RockGrid is not defined edit:578:7

<div class="RockGridWrapper backend InputfieldIgnoreChanges" id="RockGridWrapper_rockgriddemo">
      <div id="RockGridItem_rockgriddemo" class="RockGridItem ag-theme-balham" data-id="rockgriddemo" style='height: 300px'></div>
      <div class="init"></div>
    </div>
    <script>
    // translation strings for this grid
    var RockGridStr_rockgriddemo = {
          }

// grid settings object
    var gridSettings_rockgriddemo = {
      grid: 'rockgriddemo',
      dataColumns: ["id","title","created"],
      data: "ajax",
      js: {"settings":{"initPageSize":10,"pageSizes":[10,25,50,100],"height":300}},
    };

// function to init the grid
    var initGrid_rockgriddemo = function() {
      RockGrid.init(gridSettings_rockgriddemo);    //////ERROR IS HERE
      RockGrid.getGrid('rockgriddemo').str = RockGridStr_rockgriddemo    }

// load the grid automatically or manually?
    if(typeof onLoad_rockgriddemo == 'function') {
      // load grid manually
      // sometimes this is needed when we have to wait for other grids to be loaded
      onLoad_rockgriddemo(gridSettings_rockgriddemo, RockGridStr_rockgriddemo);
    }
    else {
      // load this grid when dom is loaded
      initGrid_rockgriddemo();  ///////ERROR IS HERE
    }
    </script>

If I don't put the .js file I have no extra error. If I add it to /site/assets/Rockgrid/fields/

I get error (404) :

Échec du chargement pour l’élément <script> dont la source est « http://localhost/site/assets/RockGrid/fields/rockgriddemo.js ».

I try add to frontend, but same result, a white space, with same errors than below.

For the tester, don't exactly what means "work" since I never used. But there nothing in "result", but the "resulting sql" is updated accordingly of changes done in "code to execute". 

I certainly do something wrong or don't have something activated correctly. Will give up for now, since I have other things to do. I will continue to follow the thread in case a solution eventually come out. Thanks for you time.

Mel

Hi @bernhard I tried to test and reproduce why this isn't working.

When you install RockGrid and RockFinder from URL from Gitlab, then the RockGrid is downloaded and installed into a folder named "FieldtypeRockGrid". But RockFinder tries to look for files in a folder named "RockGrid".

So Rockfinder tester isn't working and shows the error that I described and @mel47 also described. That's the first problem.
You can solve it, if you download the zip file from gitlab, unzip it in your site/modules folder and remove the "-master" from the folder name, so the name of the folder is "RockGrid".

The second problem is, that if your processwire installation is not in the root of the virtual host of Apache (for example in a subdirectory), then the URLs for loading RockGrid's assets isn't correct because it tries to load the files from the root and does not take the subdirectory into account.

In one example installation I have two separate PW installations under the same virtual host but in different subdirectories (mydomain.localhost/pw1, mydomain.localhost/pw2). That might be the exact same problem that @mel47 has. If you open RockTester then it is trying to load http://mydomain.localhost/site/modules/RockGrid/plugins/cellHoverInfo.css instead of http://mydomain.localhost/pw1/site/modules/RockGrid/plugins/cellHoverInfo.css

• Like 1

Thanks for your help @jmartsch !

I renamed all references to FieldtypeRockGrid, so it should work now without renaming the folder. Thanks for that hint! Maybe someone wants to create a PR for the problem of installations inside a subfolder - I don't have any need for that and therefore will not implement it. At least not soon.

I created a screencast of a demo installation via PW Kickstart, the Kickstartfile is here: https://gitlab.com/snippets/1732038 ; Of course you can also install everything manually.

• Like 3

Thanks, looks pretty amazing even for my very small testing. I generally learning by reading other's code examples. Since there mostly anything, I have a quick question.

I could display really easily page and repeater independently. But is it possible to display the title of page found inside a repeater ? For now I only have id. I tried many ways, but without success, but I'm not sure if I'm trying to do something impossible or not.

Thanks!

I think I found a little glitch in the module. I've installed the module within a subdir based pw instance. Then the module won't find the nessecary js and css files. The field shows on the page edit page only a blank value and not that it find's no data.

I fixed it - for me - with the following change at line 64 in file site/modules/FieldtypeRockGrid/FieldtypeRockGrid.module.php:

// make sure the path is relative to the rootfolder
//$asset = str_replace($this->config->paths->root, '/', $asset);
$asset = str_replace($this->config->paths->root,$this->config->urls->root, $asset);

After that it seems to work for me.

Many thanx for the great module!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Spoiler

I am creating an updated web interface for an international proverb database (without pay). RockGrid should go a long way in providing a navigation system for it, so thank you very much for it! However, I can only make it work in the backend.

For the frontend, is it really enough to have $page->rockgrid; in the home.php (using blank profile)? No markup is needed in templates? I mean, it does load all the RockGrid assets in the frontend, but the grid element does not manifest. I did try a variation, where I had a div with id RockGridItem_rockgrid or the wrapper, but it did not help.

Here is my setup:

Field name is rockgrid.

home.php:

include("./basic-page.php");
$page->rockgrid;

basic-page.php loads jquery-3.3.1.min.js

rockgrid.php:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

// set data for this grid via rockfinder
$this->setData(new RockFinder('template=A-T', ['code', 'variation']));

rockgrid.js:

document.addEventListener('RockGridItemBeforeInit', function(e) {
  if(e.target.id != 'RockGridItem_rockgrid') return;
  var grid = RockGrid.getGrid(e.target.id);

var col = grid.getColDef('code');
  col.headerName = grid.js.code;

var col = grid.getColDef('variation');
  col.headerName = grid.js.variation;

});

document.addEventListener('RockGridItemAfterInit', function(e) {
  if(e.target.id != 'RockGridItem_transactions') return;
  var col;
  var colDef;
});

The only JS warning is Loading failed for the <script> with source “http://localhost:2015/site/modules/RockGrid/lib/currency.min.js”, which is irrelevant.

Edit: I also tried putting it in the basic-page template. I installed Tracy Debugger, but I don't know what I should be looking for.

Edit: silly stuff here, nothing to see.

Spoiler

I started fiddling with the InputfieldRockGrid.module.php file. There is something wrong with output buffering. After ob_start(); I put $status = ob_get_status(); var_dump($status); and I get nothing.

PHP setting output_buffering is 4096 in my dev env. What can I do?

Edit: in the same dev env, if I do a simple test file with only ob_start and dump, it works. So what gives in RockGrid's case? I mean, I can get the value of $data just before ob_start.

ob_start works fine in a PW template as well. The problem is only manifesting in the input field PHP.

Edit2: if I comment out ob_start(); and return ob_get_clean();, the page gets rendered twice, but at least in the second rendering the grid is included.

Hi @Beluga please can you provide detailed step-by-step instructions so that I can try to reproduce your issue. I don't really get what is wrong. Is it not working as expected?

Edit: Sorry, I missed your first post.

Please follow the quickstart tutorial here: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeRockGrid/wikis/quickstart

From there you can continue adding features and always check wether it is working on the frontend or not. Some plugins do not have front-end-support yet. Most of the times it should not be hard to make them work on the frontend too.

Please report back if the quickstart tutorial is working for you.

Spoiler

On 8/25/2018 at 12:26 PM, bernhard said:

Hi @Beluga please can you provide detailed step-by-step instructions so that I can try to reproduce your issue. I don't really get what is wrong. Is it not working as expected?

Edit: Sorry, I missed your first post.

Please follow the quickstart tutorial here: https://gitlab.com/baumrock/FieldtypeRockGrid/wikis/quickstart

From there you can continue adding features and always check wether it is working on the frontend or not. Some plugins do not have front-end-support yet. Most of the times it should not be hard to make them work on the frontend too.

Please report back if the quickstart tutorial is working for you.

The qs tuto is what I used. Can you shed light on the ob_start() problem? Why is it not working in the context of RockGrid?

Spoiler

Ok, second try, minimal example with enumerated steps.

1. Create PW install with blank profile

2. Install RockFinder & RockGrid

3. Create rockgrid field named "rockgrid"

4. Add the rockgrid field to home template

5. Edit basic-page.php and add

<script src="https://code.jquery.com/jquery-3.3.1.min.js" integrity="sha256-FgpCb/KJQlLNfOu91ta32o/NMZxltwRo8QtmkMRdAu8=" crossorigin="anonymous"></script>

inside the head and

<div><?php $page->rockgrid; ?></div>

inside the body

6. Create the rockgrid.php:

<?php namespace ProcessWire;

// set data for this grid via rockfinder
$this->setData(new RockFinder('template=home', ['title']));

7. Create the rockgrid.js:

document.addEventListener('RockGridItemBeforeInit', function(e) {
  if(e.target.id != 'RockGridItem_rockgrid') return;

var col = grid.getColDef('title');
  col.headerName = grid.js.title;

});

document.addEventListener('RockGridItemAfterInit', function(e) {
  if(e.target.id != 'RockGridItem_transactions') return;
  var col;
  var colDef;
});

8. Navigate to the home page and see that the grid is not rendered. Viewing the source, see that the RockGrid assets are in place. This means the execution of getData function in InputfieldRockGrid has been successful and it trips up at line 110 with ob_start(); for some reason.

6 hours ago, Beluga said:

it trips up at line 110 with ob_start();

I tried it without output buffering and it works normally.

Where is this line 110 ob_start() exactly sitting? Do you use a prepend file? Is it in your basic_page.php template?

Is 

<div><?php $page->rockgrid; ?></div>

right after ob_start() ?

XAMPP here on Windows 8 and PHP 7.1.9, PW 3.0.106

I tried it out now like this:

<div id="rockgriddemo">
  <?php
  $grid = $page->rockgriddemo;
  ob_start();
  echo $grid;
  ob_end_flush();
  ?>
</div>

And everything still works normally. But I haven't used output buffering in a long long time. Not even sure I am using it correctly...

• Thanks 1