Language as gettext PO/MO files

IvanSCM

Why is JSON bad? It doesn't get much more convenient than PWs way of translating strings. You edit them right inside PW, under Setup > Languages > click on a language, then choose the language, and select a JSON and hit "edit" - you'll see text input fields for each string. No need to directly touch and edit the JSON file with a text editor.

• Like 1

There's lots of tooling and services available for po/mo files though. People might not want to translate things manually if there are ways to outsource or automate that task. So not needing to touch the JSON files is not necessarily an advantage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

ProcessWire's translation is based on gettext, so using po/mo as alternative to the json files we currently have should be quite possible. Afaik it should even be possible to convert between both formats. 

2 hours ago, IvanSCM said:

Simple tools = PoEdit, https://glotpress.blog/

Those are certainly nice and I'm using PoEdit for other projects, but we should not forget that processwire ships with online translation handling in core. If you need collaborative web based translation you're already covered.

On 9/19/2018 at 3:33 PM, LostKobrakai said:

In the processwire backend you can already do the translation. There's not need for an external tool to add online translation. 

I do not mean just another tool. I mean the convenience of teamwork on the translation. This will allow to have always the actual translation into the desired language, by the community. And, accordingly, will help popularize your favorite system.

• 1 month later...

I really like translations in ProcessWire but agree, a way to provide centralised community translations for the system and modules would be great. If I remember the software correctly, it should not be too complicated to set something up using Weblate.

Would this be something there's interest in?

• Like 1