PW3 - User Trash Access

ridgedale

Reference: PW 3.0.62 and uikit3 based multi-site using the Regular-Master profile.

I have multi-site installation where the individual site admins will not have superuser privileges owing to the overall site style, modules and  templates needing to be managed and maintained by the webdev team. What I am subsequently trying to resolve how to give the site administrators access to the trash to be able to manage the retrieval of deleted pages, as required. Two levels of role have already been setup: <site>-admin and <site>-editor with the appropriate site permissions. The permissions for <site>-editor cover everything required for that role. The only thing missing is to allow a site administrator to retrieve deleted pages - only users with <site>-admin role are permitted to delete pages.

I note that the Trashman module does not appear to be compatible with PW3x. It would be preferable not to use a module, if possible.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Nicely timed question— this is actually already in 3.0.107, and I've just been testing it locally this morning. If there are any pages in the trash that a user had edit permission to, then they can see the trash, and see those pages in the trash. The trash and restore actions also are now supported for non-superusers. They can't see pages in the trash that they don't have page-edit/page-delete permission, only superuser can see those.  

• Like 9

Hi Ryan,

Firstly, thank you for Processwire and all the time and effort you have invested and thank you to the many others that help you support this community.

11 hours ago, ryan said:

... this is actually already in 3.0.107, and I've just been testing it locally this morning...

Please could you advise when the next master stable version is likely to be released? As you will be able to see in this instance the multi-site installation is running an older master version of Processwire: version 3.0.62.

I have raised a couple of related queries/topics that remain unanswered:

The above is much more of an issue at present. I'm very wary about updating until I am sure of the correct procedure I should follow to update a multi-site installation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Setting up access to allow a potential administrator to view the backend without having edit/delete permissions - effectively to be able to view the everything including the edit interface without being able to make any changes - would be really useful.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/20/2018 at 3:53 PM, ryan said:

Nicely timed question— this is actually already in 3.0.107, and I've just been testing it locally this morning. If there are any pages in the trash that a user had edit permission to, then they can see the trash, and see those pages in the trash. The trash and restore actions also are now supported for non-superusers. They can't see pages in the trash that they don't have page-edit/page-delete permission, only superuser can see those.  

I create a general "editor" role for managing web pages. And while I can go in as editor and choose the delete tab, once back at the page tree, I do not see the trashcan nor empty options. Once back in super-admin role I can see/trash.

The editor role has all page delete permissions, and access to most everything but logs, advanced hanna code, db back ups, page locks and user administration. Any idea what I might need to do?

4 hours ago, hollyvalero said:

Any idea what I might need to do?

https://processwire.com/blog/posts/processwire-3.0.107-core-updates/#trash-for-all

But in ProcessWire 3.0.107, now you can optionally make Trash available to non-superusers. To enable it, to go Modules > Configure > ProcessPageList, and click the checkbox at the top to “Allow non-superuser editors to use Trash?”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, hollyvalero said:

every time I figure one of these things out, I add it to my screensaver so all day I see messages like "don't forget to...{whatever}"

If you are regularly building new sites you might want to consider creating a "default" profile that you install as the starting point of each new project. The idea is that you start with the core "blank" profile and...

• install any modules that you tend to use in every site
  • configure everything the way that you want (module configs like the one mentioned above, /site/config.php settings, etc)
  • create any template files that are always needed (e.g. _init.php and _main.php depending on your output strategy)

...then export that profile with Site Profile Exporter. Now when you start a new project you install PW with this default profile and everything is set up how you like it to be.

Different folks have different strategies but this one works well for me.

2 minutes ago, Robin S said:

If you are regularly building new sites you might want to consider creating a "default" profile that you install as the starting point of each new project. The idea is that you start with the core "blank" profile and...

• install any modules that you tend to use in every site
  • configure everything the way that you want (module configs like the one mentioned above, /site/config.php settings, etc)
  • create any template files that are always needed (e.g. _init.php and _main.php depending on your output strategy)

...then export that profile with Site Profile Exporter. Now when you start a new project you install PW with this default profile and everything is set up how you like it to be.

Different folks have different strategies but this one works well for me.

That is - in fact - exactly what I do. I have a variety of pre-staged set ups for different purposes... I checked my set ups and they all had access for the trash to the editor... but this was a website I created about a year ago... it didn't include it, but now it does. ?