Article 13 has become a reality this morning

pwired

Hi,

This morning the EU parlement has passed Article 13 with 10 votes against and 15 in favor.

Have any memes on your website ? From now on the EU will censor them away.
And this is only one example.

You can fresh up about  Article 13 here:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/06/internet-luminaries-ring-alarm-eu-copyright-filtering-proposal

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, pwired said:

Have any memes on your website ? From now on the EU will censor them away.
And this is only one example.

The outcome of the vote is indeed quite bad, but misinformation is not good as well. The EU is not cencoring anything on its own – especially not on your own website. They voted for a law, which requires content hosting platforms like e.g. youtube, tumblr or twitter to make sure the user-content they host is not violating copy right laws or they're essentially complicit in the copyright fraud. The person using (a.k.a. uploading or sharing) content in an unlawful way is already committing a crime even without that article 13. So that meme on your website was either already unlawfully used or it's still ok.

The problem is on the side of content hosting platforms which will need to keep and maybe even extend their already shitty (automatic) copyright detection mechanisms, making it unnecessarily harder for all people hosting content on their platforms – needless to say that most are probably not breaking copyrights in the process. Also I'm not really sure how they expect to handle all the grey areas of content, which is neither obviously licensed nor obviously unlicensed and therefore unusable. There are also laws which allow usage of copyrighted content if it's already published and the usage is just for citations – or there's satire. I'm not sure how they expect automated systems are ever support such nuances. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, LostKobrakai said:

Also I'm not really sure how they expect to handle all the grey areas of content, which is neither obviously licensed nor obviously unlicensed and therefore unusable. There are also laws which allow usage of copyrighted content if it's already published and the usage is just for citations – or there's satire. I'm not sure how they expect automated systems are ever support such nuances. 

Half joking: the beauty of lawmaking is in that you don't ever have to worry about any of that inconvenient real world stuff. Those abiding by said laws are the ones who have to figure out how to make them work – or not, and risk being penalized ?

On a more serious note: automation can't handle all cases, so what this will likely mean is more false positives, more manual work, and more severe consequences when something is reported by real users. From my point of view that won't be a major (or breaking, as some have claimed) change for the entire Internet, but perhaps I'm just not able to see the Big Picture yet.

This is awfully optimistic and very much out of character for me, but.. let's just wait and see how this works out. Then again, at this point that's pretty much all we can do ?

• Like 4