Link-tax! The EU is dying...

szabesz

Currently I do not have to pay for publishing this:

"...seeks to impose a link-tax:
which would establish a special copyright-like fee to be paid by websites to news publishers, in exchange for the privilege of using short snippets of quoted text as part of a link to the original news article
but also to make this an inalienable right, i.e. one that cannot be waived by the publishers even when they choose to do so."

But if those money hungry idiots push this thorough, I will. Or I will just simply stop cross-linking:

http://www.i-programmer.info/news/81-web-general/11893-why-article-13-must-be-stopped.html

Money talks. Insane.

• Like 1

I put together my very first website about 22 years ago. It was all <tr><td> and images but I could only concentrate on the visual aspects, no one really cared about anything else than that (except for file size of course...). Yep, those were the golden days for sure.

Edited by szabesz
quick fix :)
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, pwired said:

I get the feeling that I should have started with websites 15 years ago when the internet was still open and free.

I certainly agree that the EU is once again trying to go from one extreme to the other which is quite probably not a good idea at all. If I understand this correctly it's about copyright, right of moneytization and licensing. All those things are mostly well defined in the non-digital world, while on the internet people just didn't care much up until now mostly because of anonymity and lack of ways to prevention or prosecution, while the impact of sharing unlicensed content is easily greater than in the analog world. I certainly see that reform critically for anything, where people want to get payed for or limit access to their work, because it would probably restrict many good cases of quotation/linkage as well.

But the internet imho is great for the things, which are willingly shared and licensed to be usable/shareable/editable by other people. Most of my open source work is licensed under MIT or Apache just because of that. It just seems people just don't want to be bothered with the question of: Am I allowed to use a piece of information elsewhere. 

Sadly the EU just seems to be fully driven by publishing corporations trying to get their share of money from their content being shared instead of dealing with the issue in a sensible way.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

All those things are mostly well defined in the non-digital world

Well, sort of. Let's look at the example of Artisjus which is the official authority in Hungary dealing with licensing music. Over here, popular artists profit from this system while not so popular artists suffer from the bureaucracy, not profiting from it at all.

Taking this a step further into just "quoting bits of text with proper credits included" is just ridiculous. Also, forcing content providers to implement software and hardware to automatically filter content which might probably need licensing is short sighted and arrogant. Also, who is going to pay for the implementation and maintenance of such "system-add-ons"?

It is just so easy to come up with new taxes but seeing the consequences is a different matter.

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 1

Crazy! They are receiving free backlinks, better SEO positioning, more free traffic because the marketing effort is made by the page that publish the RSS content, all that translates to them in money per click on advertising, leads and sales. Maybe we should create Link-Tax-Back to receive a payment for sending our users.

• Like 1