PW 3.0.105 – Core updates

ryan

On 6/2/2018 at 7:37 AM, ryan said:

This latest version on the dev branch adds a new site profile to the core

Hi Ryan,

With the addition of the new profile, in terms of file size nearly 60% of the core is now made up of site profiles. For new users these profiles are no doubt very handy, but I think for a lot of existing users the profiles (apart from "blank") are not needed.

Speaking for myself I don't have a need for the bundled profiles and so delete them each time after downloading a new version from GitHub. Doing that isn't a big deal, but it would be nice to keep things as lean as possible for users who don't need the profiles. And I'm not sure but are the profiles downloaded and discarded each time PW is upgraded via admin? 

What do you think about starting to make use of the Releases feature of GitHub? Each time when a new version is ready there could be a new release created, containing two zips: "processwire" and "processwire-no-profiles", or whatever naming scheme you think best.

Using releases would have some other benefits too. For dev branch users it would be easier to know exactly what version of PW you are running, as opposed to the current scenario where changes to the latest version get pushed out over the week so someone who installs 3.0.105 on Saturday may have different files to someone who installs 3.0.105 on Thursday. When someone raises a problem in the forum they could say exactly what version they are running (could be an older release) and people who want to help could more easily download that exact release to try and replicate the problem.

Another benefit to using releases is that you can collect metadata about downloads. That would be a great way to track the growing interest in PW over time.
https://help.github.com/articles/getting-the-download-count-for-your-releases/

• Like 12

5 minutes ago, LostKobrakai said:

I think having a download option in the installer for getting additional site profiles beyond blank and basic would be the simpler option, which depends less on GitHub and people being familiar with it.

I put in a request similar to that here several weeks ago.  Ryan had some justifiable concerns with it:
https://github.com/processwire/processwire-requests/issues/137

• Like 1

Hey guys, I was reading the news of the latest dev branch this morning and noticed the profiles discussion here. As far as I like checking up the profiles as I am not a Pro developer (yet ? ) but I also like the simplicity in things, to have the PW installer with a single profile (let’s say blank) and provide within a step of the installer to use another profile? Let’s say I am installing PW and after asking for credentials etc. it notifies me that by default I am using blank profile so if I would like to use another one, to select from the list where all default profiles are listed. Doing this I would still end up with my favorite profile, but I won’t have to download extra files just so that I delete them.

The only issue I see here is if a developer wants to have a copy of PW and install it locally while being offline (working from remote locations with no Internet access) however if this is happening, most likely we would be talking about a person who knows his things around PW and most likely would have his own profile to use already. 

• 2 weeks later...

Will all those nice functions ever appear in the Api Reference or just when the dev reaches master?

I am more or less afraid of forgetting all the nice features mentioned in the blog.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 11:37 PM, maxf5 said:

Will all those nice functions ever appear in the Api Reference or just when the dev reaches master?

I guess Ryan updates it from time-to-time. Up-to-date and with more info is grabbed from the source code for those who have the API Explorer module of Ryan's ProDevTools:

See: Introducing the API Explorer module