Development environments suggestion

SamC

I use MAMP on OSX and Laragon on Windows but I've recently been looking at Vagrant and Docker because my life isn't complicated enough and I need more confusion and frustration. Seriously though, what do people here use? Do you have any recommendations and reasons why it would be worth switching from a more 'fixed' environment.

I've read docker might be less resource hungry but is trickier to get set up but I don't know the truth in this. Bearing in mind this is just localhost stuff for now but in the future, I am more likely to be involved in a team. Well, it's not all localhost, I have two live sites that I need to work on locally.

I'm comfortable enough in XAMPP, MAMP, WAMP, Laragon etc. but Vargrant/Docker looks like a conceptual switch. I do however like the idea of being able to mimic a production environment.

I'm also realistic, being 4 months into my JS/PHP learning, is this something that I need right now? Would it be more recommended to stick to the tools I know i.e. just ditch MAMP and try AMPPS. Right now, I'm in a situation where I have nothing on OSX (other than "php -S localhost:8000"). I wanted to install PW and try a few things out which lead me to looking at alternatives.

Thanks for any advice ?

I use the same as you do on Mac and Win. Laravel Valet on Linux.

And I only recommend moving to Docker if you need to work on a team AND need to replicate a server setup in all machines. And if so, I recommend trying Laravel Homestead.

• Like 1

Not exactly simple, I use a CentOS server hosting KVM virtual machine running CentOS and ispconfig3.  The VM is bridged on to my local LAN.  ispconfig allows easy setup of additional websites for experimentation, I currently have over 20 different local domain websites for testing running off one server.  Each site allows shell access, so I just use scp/winscp to download/upload files, cli mysql/mysqldump to dump and save databases, and usually just do all my editing in vim from the command line shell access.  Occasionally I sshfs mount the "remote" site filesystem and use some gui IDE, usually geany or eclipse.

The biggest roadblock is getting an ispconfig3 server installed and running.  The ispconfig folks provide a nice tutorial, but it still takes some time and effort to get it set up, but once you do it offers a nice development environment.

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into these this coming week ? 

13 hours ago, Doug G said:

I use a CentOS server hosting KVM virtual machine running CentOS and ispconfig3.  The VM is bridged on to my local LAN.

Me reading that:
2cflrq.jpg.ff92e4455674e2a9a9049ab04330b8ac.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

After a bit of research, I think this is one rabbit hole I'm not prepared to go down right now. Sticking to laragon on windows and mamp on osx. I'll go back over these suggestions when my current setup doesn't work for me anymore! But for now, my time is better spent carrying on with my programming.

On 6/1/2018 at 7:41 PM, fbg13 said:

I like the look of this ^^ though.

Thanks everyone ?

• 1 year later...

Has anyone tried https://lando.dev?
I've just found it.
(I need MariaDB and not MySQL.)

*** But the hardware requirements are quite high...
https://docs.lando.dev/basics/installation.html#hardware-requirements ***

And are some of you happy with Devilbox or Laravel Homestead, for example?
(Preferably on Linux.)

Are they too complex to install or use, or do they take up too much space, for instance?
Is it worth it?
What are your opinions?

Thanks in advance!

NB: For the last projects, I developed online.
I will normally soon invest in a new computer for several reasons, one of them - not the most important - being the space left.

Edited by Christophe
Added the hardware requirements
  • Like 1

I also ended up using Windows + Laragon.

For even more convenience I edited the index.php file in the www folder.
When clicking on the Web button in the Laragon interface it shows me all
websites and shops I am working on in a nice organized table.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

DDEV is another Docker-based open-source platform.

I've worked on Mac with AMPPS, but when my computer crashed and I got another one and installed it would download strange image files (mostly [faux?] logos) to my computer until I turned off the wifi...

Valet+ Valet fork has PHP version switching & extensions, toggle Xdebug, optimized MySQL (?), Redis, & Elasticsearch.

You can set up a simple development VM but Homestead is already all belled and whistled. It runs PW perfectly out of the box via nginx (or Apache but I had to install it). Scotch Box is a less extensive Vagrant box.

By the way: Running Vagrant + VirtualBox from an External Drive

Also v.je: Arch-based minimal 75mb Vagrant box for web dev. well configured, no provisioning, stripped of Pacman.