Delete web by mistake and I need to recover it

colinosoft

Hello yesterday making changes to the host I made an error and delete my website. Luckily I had a copy but only of the templates folder, taken by ftp on my own, not exported with the module to export the process page. In the hosting is the database, then I do not know how to do it, so that it recognizes the structure of the web.

I have tried to reinstall the processwire but I have seen that when exporting the site with the module, I created the folders with images with the number assigned by processwire (1001,1002, etc) and I do not know this.

I need urgent help because the page has to be online.

Hello thanks for the interest, if you are right they have the backup copies and are already working to restore it.

It's just that I'm a bit of a rookie in the web world, and as I saw that I had deleted everything, I did not know very well how to act, so I asked.

Anyway, I would like to know if it would have been the case that there was no backup. Would there be any way to restore the web with the data I have, or would it be very difficult? I like to learn new things to know if I could have solved them by myself.

Thanks again.

A complete backup is the database and the site folder which holds the assets, modules, and templates folders. If you remember the processwire version you used it would be easy enough to extract a new modules folder. Maybe add some missing modules you were using for your website. But you would miss the assets folder. The assets folder holds for example the pictures you used on your website. But even that could be restored if you still have the used pictures somewhere on a computer. You would have to reupload them to the back end of processwire. So yes you could have restored again your website but it certainly would take some time. I recommend to use both cpanel backups and also ssh to schedule making backups of your websites on your own local computer.

• Like 1

Thank you very much for your help.

If you already observe the structure of processwire use to order the web, and I did not have those folders, only had the .php, img, and some more files. And I realized that if I could have rebuilt the web but with a lot of work, then I would have to reassign everything to each template.

Thanks again.

In the future, you may want to install this module to have a secondary backup tool:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/process-database-backups/

The following module, automates the above backup process, so this task won't be forgotten or ignored:

http://modules.processwire.com/modules/cronjob-database-backup/

• Like 1

If your site is indexed by Google, and the number of pages or images is relately low, then you can try to get the cached version. But I'm not sure if that also works for images/files or just HTML.

2 hours ago, cstevensjr said:

a secondary backup tool:

In addition to this, I can also recommend @flydev's Duplicator module:

https://modules.processwire.com/modules/duplicator/

it is not just for cloning a site but for creating full backups (files + database). For example, before performing actions to the site you are not really comfortable with or you just want to make sure you have a current backup then Duplicator can be very useful.

• Like 4

Hi guys, I have bad news, the hosting tells me that it does not make backup copies if I do not pay an extra, the option I had was to make it manual, but I did not have it done.

Then I met as at the beginning, the only thing I found is a copy of the complete 2014, to see if you can help me restore it because I'm trying locally but I'm not able, I send a screenshot of the folders I have and see if you help me.

Captura.PNG.c4459345c237110ae0e66da92907a1cc.PNG

Depending on the actual contents of /site and /wire it might be possible that you have all the files in them. Do you also happen to have a copy of the database?

In your opening post you stated that: "I had a copy but only of the templates folder"

The question is: what do you actually still have? What are the possible missing files/directories and what about the database? What exactly did you delete accidentally?

If at first I only had the templates folder, but looking deeply I found what you see above.

Inside these folders there is an install.sql that seems to have a correct structure of the database. And in the other folders is the entire site in full (copy of 2014 is the problem).

But I tried to upload it again and I can not get it to work, it gives me an error, if I put the install.sql where the processwire is supposed to look when importing the site.

59 minutes ago, colinosoft said:

copy of 2014 is the problem

What do you mean by this? Is this a website from 2014 which has not been updated since then?

59 minutes ago, colinosoft said:

if I put the install.sql where the processwire is supposed to look when importing the site.

What happens if you manually import the SQL file (with the help of phpMyAdmin, for example) and put back all the files/directories to the site root directory?

If I understand you correctly, your files/directories are from a backup but the database file (install.sql) is a leftover from a site profile export operation.

Have you read this one? https://processwire.com/talk/topic/121-custom-install-profiles/

Edited by szabesz
typos
  • Like 1