Cloning pages seems to have different effects

louisstephens

I came across something today which has me a bit puzzled. I have a site structure like:

Development
	- Dev Heading
		- Dev Parent
			- Dev Child 
			- Dev Child 
		- Dev Parent
			- Dev Child 
			- Dev Child 

- Dev Heading
		- Dev Parent
			- Dev Child 
			- Dev Child 
		- Dev Parent
			- Dev Child 
			- Dev Child 

If I copy/duplicate a page that has children (like Dev Heading or Dev Parent), I am taken to a screen to change the name/url as well as the url "slug". However, If I try to clone "Dev Child", it simply clones it as "Dev Child 1" and sets the status to unpublished. It is okay, but kind of annoying when the two have separate actions. Is there a setting to change the current behaviour, as I rather like being taken to a screen to directly edit/publish the page.

This would be beneficial to me as I have a hook on after page save for certain templates, but currently it saves it everytime I try to copy "Dev Child", and then I have to go in and edit/publish the page. 

It's annoying, right? You could thumbs-up the existing request for a change to this behaviour: https://github.com/processwire/processwire-requests/issues/186

And as a workaround in the meantime try this hook in /site/ready.php:

$wire->addHookAfter('ProcessPageListActions::getExtraActions', function(HookEvent $event) {
    $page = $event->arguments(0);
    $actions = $event->return;
    if(isset($actions['copy']['ajax'])) {
        unset($actions['copy']['ajax']);
        $actions['copy']['url'] = "{$this->config->urls->admin}page/clone/?id={$page->id}";
    }
    $event->return = $actions;
});

If you find it's not working for you then it might be getting called before the equivalent hook inside ProcessPageClone, in which case you could try experimenting with the "priority" option for hooks: https://processwire.com/api/ref/wire/add-hook-after/

• Like 2