ProcessWire Logos (download)

ryan

Ryan, is it ok if I use the P and the W from the official logo and adding a shopping cart for our little german shopping module?

That sounds fine to me. But just send the usage for me to see it in context once you've got it.

Looks quite nice to me. But I'd pose the question to others here: does this usage make it look like this is produced by or endorsed by the ProcessWire project? If so, that would be my only concern.

I'm not really looking to tell anyone what they can or can't do (I don't have the legal background to do so), so I figure the best thing I can do is keep track of usage and know who to contact to change it if a lawyer ever says it's necessary.

I don't think it is a good practice to use official PW logo with modules, site profiles etc. It will lead to confusion in the long run. I think same with naming: actually my module name for "Shop for ProcessWire" is not good name either. It is better than "ProcessWire Shop", but I think all 3rd party modules/profiles etc should stay away from ProcessWire name and logo (but be very clear about ProcessWire connection in otherwise, of course).

At least PHP has this kind of practice: http://www.php.net/license/index.php#other-lic

• Like 2

I agree with Antti here. Using "ProcessWire" (or "PW") in the name of your site / product / module / whatever may imply that you have an official bond with ProcessWire project itself, whether or not that's really the situation, and thus should be avoided (unless that really is the situation of course.) That's also why the way @Luis' site above uses (modified but still very much recognizable) PW logo makes me think of an official PW apparel shop or something like that. I'm really sorry for having to be a bit blunt here, but that's the image I'm getting.

And just for the record, I also think that PHP devs are being surprisingly lax regarding this matter. They're not saying that you can't use PHP in product naming, just that you "should seriously consider avoiding it", which for most developers out there seems to mean "it's all OK, we don't really care!" Then again, changing an old policy like that afterwards would not only cause a shitload of work, it would also be quite impossible to supervise and possibly even harmful to the spirit of the PHP community. So I guess they're pretty much out of options already :)

• Like 1

Hi,

thanks for the feedback.

But I'd pose the question to others here: does this usage make it look like this is produced by or endorsed by the ProcessWire project?

Never thought about this really important problem.

I don't think it is a good practice to use official PW logo with modules, site profiles etc. It will lead to confusion in the long run.

Agree

That's also why the way @Luis' site above uses (modified but still very much recognizable) PW logo makes me think of an official PW apparel shop or something like that.

Agree

I think the best way to contribute will be the official logo + slogan somewhere in the footer section.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Okay, I really like the Knitted one. :)

I was originally trained as a sound Engineer back in the 70s and the head of Maintenance at the studio used to refer to making the huge looms we used to make (300+ cores) as Knitting with Electric String.

Joss

• 2 months later...

Here are all of my experiments, which are a little larger (after you click on them), but not much. There was also another thread here that had some nice examples from Diogo, Mademyday and others, but I can't seem to find it.

post-2-0-58643800-1360337289_thumb.png

post-2-0-60346700-1360337297_thumb.png

post-2-0-80570300-1360337304_thumb.png

post-2-0-69769900-1360337311_thumb.png

post-2-0-51370800-1360337317_thumb.png

post-2-0-74397600-1360337330.gif

post-2-0-03359100-1360337349.gif

post-2-0-46765400-1360337356.gif

• Like 1

Ryan, you mean this one? http://processwire.c...wire-on-the-web

Yes that's the one. This is probably the best one in terms of consistency with the current look/feel. The only issue is (as discussed in that thread) that the Mahalia 'w' placed next to the Avenir reads like "PU"... that's my fault for choosing these typefaces for the logo. And one reason why we'll eventually get a new logo design. Though I'm not sure how big of an issue it really is, but I just have trouble unseeing it. That's really the only reason I swapped the typefaces for the P and the W in the experiments. 

• 10 months later...