What's on your checklist for the end of a Web design project?

johnstephens

You're wrapping up a design project for a new or substantially redesigned website. What are the not-so-obvious things on your list that you don't want to forget before you work on something else for a while?

I realize that what counts as not-so-obvious in one project might be completely obvious and the first thing you do on another. Still, I'd love to hear what are the little things you do to tighten the screws and clean up before moving on to other work?

After a project is finished... I don't do anything with my last working copies.

One law of nature is... As soon as a project is finished and live the client finds bugs or wants things changed.

Despite this:

• Cleaning up / merging / archive everything in...
    • Asana
    • Trello
    • Bitbucket
    • Github
  • Creating local copies of everything that's somewhere in the cloud
  • Archiving every piece into folders and ZIPs
  • Backing up everything to various places
  • Creating a calendar entry for a follow up call with the client - 2 to 4 weeks after release
  • Like 3

Basically, a lot of what wbmnfktr says. If the project is a bit more complex, I do schedule a time to sit down and go over the backend to see if they are having any hang-ups, or if they have tried to "force" the system to work in a way it was not developed for. Sadly, this seems to be an ongoing issue, and I spend a lot more time trying to clean up areas of the page tree where they have just dumped pages and claim the system is broken due to their lack of understanding/forgetfulnes.

If everything has gone smoothly and any scheduled change(s)  are complete, I do send out an email with a url to a survey to gather a bit of information on how the project went and how the processes could have been better tweaked.

• Like 3

I am not giving you a checklist but a tool which can be helpful for "managing" the end of your project by writing tasks. Check out https://github.com/deployphp/deployer

I personally use it in conjunction with Duplicator - but it can be used in any workflow, like rsync etc... -  Once the package is created, you launch your task and the tool configure/deploy everything for you.

• Like 6