"The hamburger menu doesn’t work"

Christophe

The hamburger menu is not written in stone or something. You can make it work in any way you want: slide in top to down, left to right, appear in, popup, etc. etc. and thus make it adapt and functional to any web page layout.

I don't really agree with the article. Perhaps that was true back then but nowadays people are used to it (or perhaps I'm too much of a designer :)). 

According to that logic the eg. the search icon (magnifying glass) could be on a ban list.

• Like 3

The last time someone said "The hamburger menu doesn’t work" we tested onpage CTR and... almost no difference at all.

It's by far not the best solution but people know it for a long time now. They see it regularly and can handle it.

The article was first written in 2015 (according to the WP image path) and therefore things have changed since then.

Remember all the "people don't read online!" or "people don't scoll!" statements.

• Like 4

Yeah, since then lots of people have gotten used to it.

However: We have an in-house UX rule: Never display an icon without text. So yeah, it can't hurt to put "MENU" below the burger.

• Like 4

On 5/4/2018 at 7:03 PM, dragan said:

So yeah, it can't hurt to put "MENU" below the burger.

It cannot hurt for sure (that is why I also put it there whenever I can) but on small mobile viewports it might be problematic to also use the word "menu", however if the hamburger menu is prominent then people will find and use it as they have gotten used to it by now. Sure, there are alternatives but I do not think the hamburger icon is that bad and the alternatives are not better either. It just depends on the design context what works best.

It is funny that in the "5 smart alternatives to the hamburger menu" article the hamburger icons are still used. :P 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, szabesz said:

It is funny that in the "5 smart alternatives to the hamburger menu" article the hamburger icons are still used. :P 

Yes. Yes it is :-)

tbh, in reality some people actually do not realize at first glance where they can jump to another section easily (no matter what screen size or device). I'm working at a company that has its strong roots in UX. We have our own lab and do usability-tests on a regular basis, since 18 years. We usually work with Axure prototypes. This way, we can find out early in the whole project stage if a certain concept or design works or doesn't. And from what I've heard, the hamburger menu indeed was not being recognized and has been often overlooked in that time-frame the first article in this thread was written. But as always in our industry (or life): it's "live and learn"...

btw: I came across a nice tutorial how to build a top/tab/main-menu which uses the "more" approach, as screen size gets more narrow. I like this approach a lot.

https://css-tricks.com/container-adapting-tabs-with-more-button/

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2018 at 6:03 PM, dragan said:

Yeah, since then lots of people have gotten used to it.

However: We have an in-house UX rule: Never display an icon without text. So yeah, it can't hurt to put "MENU" below the burger.

I always do this:

742317456_ScreenShot2018-06-01at18_19_35.thumb.jpg.424bcdfb92e22b2223d781ce05e2411c.jpg

What grinds my gears is when hamburger menus are the only option on desktop sites (just for the sake of looking fancy), so I gotta click on it just to show the available options before I can choose something.

• Like 3