Sergio

How to resolve MySQL Errcode: 24 - Too many open files (Ubuntu)

All of a sudden, with nothing changed on the database or server, a website was getting error when doing a search:

Error: Exception: SQLSTATE[HY000]: General error: 23 Out of resources when opening file './your-database-name/pages_parents.MYD' (Errcode: 24 - Too many open files) (in /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/PageFinder.php line 413)

#0 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Wire.php(386): ProcessWire\PageFinder->___find(Object(ProcessWire\Selectors), Array)
#1 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/WireHooks.php(723): ProcessWire\Wire->_callMethod('___find', Array)
#2 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Wire.php(442): ProcessWire\WireHooks->runHooks(Object(ProcessWire\PageFinder), 'find', Array)
#3 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/PagesLoader.php(248): ProcessWire\Wire->__call('find', Array)
#4 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Pages.php(232): ProcessWire\PagesLoader->find('title~=EAP, lim...', Array)
#5 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire/core/Wire.php(383): ProcessWire\Pages->___find('title~=EAP, lim...')
#6 /home/forge/example.com/public/wire

This error message was shown because: you are logged in as a Superuser. Error has been logged.

I tried several things, listed in this thread: https://serverfault.com/questions/791729/ubuntu-16-04-server-mysql-open-file-limit-wont-go-higher-than-65536

But for some reason, MySQL was not getting its limit increased, but in the end, the one that did the trick was this:

This worked for me on Ubuntu Xenial 16.04:

Create the dir /etc/systemd/system/mysql.service.d

Put in /etc/systemd/system/mysql.service.d/override.conf:

[Service]
LimitNOFILE=1024000

Now execute

systemctl daemon-reload
systemctl restart mysql.service

Yes indeed, LimitNOFILE=infinity actually seems to set it to 65536.

You can validate the above after starting MySQL by doing:

cat /proc/$(pgrep mysql)/limits | grep files
  • Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By SwimToWin
      I have a nested page structure that fails for users without superuser permissions:
      Works for superusers / non-superusers:
          - foo
          -- bar
          --- page (status: published)
          ---- page (status: published)
      Fails for non-superusers (Works for superusers):
          - foo
          -- bar
          ---- page (status: published)
          --- page (status: unpublished <- apparently the template structure fails when there's one unpublished page)
      Template:
      <?php foreach ($page->children('include=all') as $p): #Fails for non-superusers ?> <?=$p->render()?> <?php endforeach; ?>     a) Works for non-superusers when I grant Page Edit permissions (on the template) to their assigned role/s.
          b) When I remove 'include=all' or 'include=unpublished' then it also works for non-superusers:
      <?php foreach ($page->children() as $p): #Works for non-superusers ?> <?=$p->render()?> <?php endforeach; ?> Error message (non-superusers)
          Internal Server Error
              The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
              Error has been logged.
          /www/site/assets/logs/errors.txt
              /foo/bar/baz/    Error:     Exception: Page '/foo/bar/baz/quz/' is not currently viewable.
          /www/site/assets/logs/exceptions.txt
              /foo/bar/baz/    Page '/foo/bar/baz/quz/' is not currently viewable. (in /wire/modules/PageRender.module line 410)
      Debug (non-superusers)
          Error: Exception: Page '/foo/bar/baz/quz/' is not currently viewable. (in wire/modules/PageRender.module line 410)
          #0 wire/core/Wire.php (397): PageRender->___renderPage(Object(HookEvent))
          #1 wire/core/WireHooks.php (823): Wire->_callMethod('___renderPage', Array)
          #2 wire/core/Wire.php (465): WireHooks->runHooks(Object(PageRender), 'renderPage', Array)
          #3 wire/core/WireHooks.php (924): Wire->__call('renderPage', Array)
          #4 wire/core/Wire.php (465): WireHooks->runHooks(Object(Page), 'render', Array)
          #5 site/templates/template.php (191): Wire->__call('render', Array)

• By FireWire
      Hey all. I'm having an issue with the new custom page classes feature which is a fantastic tool.
      I am running into a recursion issue when attempting to call a custom page class. I have a class called BlogPostPage.php (for blog-post.php) which contains a method called getSummary(). That method gets a summary field or truncates the body in it's absence. I've attached photos of the template code, custom page class code (which I've simplified for testing), and the PW output error.
      There is no recursion in the getSummary() method. This error occurs whether I output multiple blog posts in a loop or if I output one blog post with no looping in my template code.

In use:
      ProcessWire 3.0.164 dev
      PHP 7.3.13

I am also using the Template Engine Twig module which has not caused any errors or issues thus far.
      Many thanks!

• By neonwired
      I'm hoping someone has seen this before. There doesn't appear to be an issue with the user info.

• By EyeDentify
      Hello Dear PW Gurus.

Hope you fair well in these Corona Crisis times.

Anyhow, i have a problem with a Cryptic error message that shows up when i am trying to Delete images out of a Images field.
      The Error message does say a little but it does not make sense to me why i can´t delete the images because of it.

Is it some permission issue perhaps?

I will attach screenshots of it and what i did prior to it.
      I am from sweden so ignore the funny words here and there.

Hope you all can send me on the right track.
      i am running PW 3.0.139 on this install.

Step1:

Step 2: Select the images with the trashcan symbol

Step 3: Cryptic Error message

I am scratching my head on this one, have not seen this before.

Thankfull for all help.
      /EyeDentify
    • By jds43
      Hello,
      Does anyone have experience with migrating content from Django to Processwire? Or are there any suggestions for achieving this?